Thursday, June 6, 2013

Polite red tape

I had my dose of red tape yesterday.  But it is all because of my own doing...  Communication gaps.  In both Japanese AND English!  (That's pretty bad.)

I needed to renew my Japanese driver's license.  The Department of Motor Vehicles sent me a post card telling me what I did or did not need.  Now.... my Japanese reading ability is fair but not great.  I showed my post card to Tetsu and asked him what I needed and he scanned the card and said I needed to get an official document of residency at the city hall.  There has been a recent change in Japanese laws and I (along with other foreigners) will be recognized as residents.

Off I went to the city hall and showed them my Department of Motor Vehicles post card, and then went about the rigamarole of getting the needed document.  And then I went to the DMV...  and they explained that if I had looked more closely at my post card I would have noticed that morning hours ended at 11:30 and I was there at 11:45.

"O~kay.  I'll come back another day..."

The lady noticed the official document gripped in my hand.

"Did you change your address?"

"No."

"Then you didn't need the document of residency.  You don't need to bring that the next time you come."

If I hadn't stopped for the document I could have gotten to the DMV on time.  The lady was very polite and apologetic.  I wasn't particularly annoyed with her.  I was annoyed at myself for not reading the post card more closely, for Tetsu's error when checking the post card and at the city hall for not catching my mistake when I requested the document.

But it is all due to my lack of Japanese skills...  That's what I'd like to think.

I came home and was disappointed that I couldn't get my driver's license.  And I also realized I didn't have my passport yet though I'd sent the old one and an application to the American Embassy at the beginning of May. I checked the Internet and there in the ENGLISH instructions (which I thought I'd followed!) was the line,

"Please include a self-addressed envelope."

I hadn't included the envelope.

I called the embassy.

"Please connect me with the Passport division."

And I got a recording.

"Blah, blah, blah.  Press 1 if you....  Press 2 if you..."  all the way down to 9 which was what I needed to press if I wanted to talk to someone.  So I pressed 9.  And the recording said,

"Good-bye."

I actually laughed out loud!  And called the Embassy again and said I really needed to talk with someone and their recording wasn't working.

And I DID get to talk with a live person.

"Oh yes, Mrs. Watanabe.  Your passport is ready and waiting but you did not send a self-addressed envelope."  (But the application had my address on it!  My return address was on the sent envelope!) "If you'd like your passport please send us a self-addressed stamped envelope.  You'll get your passport in a couple of days."

So polite...  and I am so polite and apologetic back.  But I was actually thinking,

"Would it be so hard to just slap a stamp on some envelope and get my address from the application or computer or whatever you are looking at?  I did pay $110 for a new passport and a dollar in extra postage isn't asking a lot..."

But no.  If everyone fumbled around like me the Embassy and DMV would have lots of extra work so I apologized again and went to the post office to send off a self-addressed envelope.

It occurred to me that whoever gets my self-addressed envelope isn't going to know what to do with it and that I ought to send a written request.  But I didn't have any paper with me.  The WONDERFUL post office girl saw me rummaging around in my purse and offered me a piece of paper from her memo pad.  I wrote my note and handed the whole thing to her to send off special delivery.

"Um... I remembered that you liked the left-over stamp sheet pictures.  If you'd like them I cut you out two more of the kimono ladies..."

I could have cried.  Instead I shook her hand vigorously to her great surprise.

12 comments:

  1. A right 'comedy of errors' but, how sweet and thoughtful of the post office lassie. You see, your reputation precedes you.
    Cheers,

    Rieann from Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. With me being on 'this' side of your situation(s), I can sit and smile at your frustration...it's a funny story...again, because it all happen to me! Thanks for sharing and I love the look of your new blog!!!! Beautiful picture on your header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met many wonderful people, like the post office lady, while in Japan last month.

    I coveted the length of fabric at one post office that covered the coffee table in the waiting area. It was had the selvages and they were unique.

    Ana usa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always hate having to listen to the press 1 or 3 or 9 before you get a person. I guess it is the same everywhere. Nice post office gal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! HA! And you think maybe the USA is any different? Even if we do speak the same American English I find that different agencies apparently do not talk to each other even if they need each other's paperwork. I worked in the District Courts for 25+ years in Family Law and although we worked with the Sheriff and Police departments there was often a lack of communication. Court staff could work it out because we knew who to talk to, but it was VERY frustrating for the public most of the time. And even if you spent $300+ for a divorce - no SASE - no documents mailed. I think it's probably worldwide. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I strongly suspect that it is the sweet thoughtful people who make the world go round, and keep those of us who have had trying days from going off the deep end. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One wonderful friendly lady at the end of a difficult day, hope the next part goes well. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The officials who tie red tape around everything must think their rules and regulations have common sense and are common knowledge. Not so for us who have to untangle the tape, get lost among recorded messages and waste time on trying to find information.
    On the other hand there are the friendly post office ladies...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had days like that. The nice lady at the post office really helped, with her nice attitude and friendliness. Always remember that it only takes one person to either make or break someone else's day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sending you lots of virtual hugs, Tanya. It is always so nice at the end of a hard & frustrating day to have someone surprise you with a random act of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a day. Yes, red tape can be a pain for sure! I remember trying to get a visa for Brazil so I could go along when My Honey was going to be there for work. We finally got it, but I'll spare you the horrible story. There is so much crime there that I don't care if I NEVER go back to Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Tanya, The link worked so I have gotten to read all that I missed. I'm not sure, however, how to book-mark the new contact so it will appear on my reading list. All those frustrations happen even when you go to the American Embassy in person. You need to have your signature on something verified with the seal, you better live close because even taking the first train into town, you may miss the official one-hour time that they will take care of that. When I missed that time bu five minutes and was told to return another day, the guy said "when you do banking, you have to obey banking hours". I told him that is true but I would never put my money in a bank several hours away and only open for one hour a day. I made my point and I think he took care of the business. (Actually there was more to the story because I had stood outside in cold February rain because they wouldn't let me in ... my purse with all my IDs had been stolen and I needed to replace my passport. After two hours outside, I finally began to cry in frustration and they let me in. Lesson learned... cry sooner!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.