Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Generosity

You cannot imagine the bounty of blessings that come into my kitchen and house.  I realized at last night's dinner that there wasn't a thing except rice, that I had bought.  And Yuma-kun's family is very generous with their rice so many weeks' meals of rice have been supplied by them!

Let's see.  A farmer and friend handed me some absolutely beautiful turnips one day last week.  Some of those went into our miso soup. The same farmer gave me that shungiku green bouquet I was holding the other day.  I made part of those into last night's tempura.

And his wife handed me a bag of home made pickles yesterday afternoon when I was walking Choco.  (I do seem to subconsciously time my morning and afternoon walks with Choco when the farmers are at their fields...)

On another day, a different farmer friend handed me a plastic bag and together we gathered snow peas for that night's dinner.  And when I commented on her pretty poppies she snapped off a little bouquet and then pulled up three or four plants for me to plant in my garden.

"They're weeds to me.  Take all you want!"

So I came home that morning with my arms full of flowers and plants dripping dirt and a bag of snow peas.

Generosity isn't limited to the farmers.  One of the ladies who comes for English at my house brought me a bouquet of roses last week, and yesterday another student gave me a bag of asparagus.  On my way home I stopped at a friend's house and was handed a home-marinated package of meat,

"For your dinner tonight."

Since I don't do any gardening... flowers or vegetables I'm not at all good about reciprocating to these gifts.  Just an enthusiastic "Thank you so much!" and a big smile.  (Maybe I'd better go bake them some cookies...)

Dinner has been good at the Watanabe house this week, and I didn't burn much at all!

7 comments:

  1. Friends' generosity is so welcome, and truly, I believe they do not want to receive in return. Lovely poppies, and meals too!! Eat up, Tetsu, tomorrow might be a new menu altogether. Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, those turnips are gorgeous -- looks like a photo spread for Country Living magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharing with neighbours is a wonderful tradition in Japan. I feel though, that it is rapidly disappearing in a big city like Tokyo. Enjoy your gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As it says in the Bible, give and it will be given back to you, full measure, running over into your lap. Those quilts and other things you do are a blessing to others. God is blessing you because of the ways you bless others with the fruits of 'your' labour.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those poppies are just beautiful. The generosity of your friends and neighbors is a wonderful blessing. They give of themselves just as you give to others with your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I long for the days when neighbors around here knew each other and were friendly and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I long for the days when neighbors around here knew each other and were friendly and helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.