Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Destruction and construction

I have been upset recently about the construction (still in the DEstruction stage) going on in my area.  As you know, I live out in the countryside on the edge of a residential neighborhood.  If truth be told, I would really like to be living even FARTHER out and away from other houses and cars and people etc.  It makes me wonder if at heart I am really an anti-social...

When Tetsu and I were looking at houses to buy 20 years ago, we found this one on the edge of the forest, in a faraway part of the prefecture (at the time unconnected to the next city except by a winding mountain road.  Since then a tunnel gives us easier access.)  I LOVED it!  No matter that the house didn't get a lot of light in the afternoons; no matter that the bugs and frogs and snakes didn't recognize the property line, I just loved looking out the windows at the forest behind me, I loved taking 10 steps to a panorama of rice paddies and vegetable fields and FORESTS!

I have often said, that if someone decided to tear down my forest and build houses, then I am out of here!

Well...  That day may have come.

Since April, there have been bulldozers and chainsaws cutting down the trees in the forest a few fields away.  Now this is not within sight of my house (it certainly is within hearing range) but nowadays the scenery on our morning walks has changed.  There is an industrial plant which has three divisions a bit farther down and it seems that they are expanding and they have bought one of the forests and are cutting it down for a new plant construction.

This is what the scenery USED to look like... Back there behind the rice fields was the long stretch of forest.

This is what the area looks like this morning.  See how the area behind the orange Keep-Out area has been cut down?  That building in the background is one of the older divisions of the industrial plant.

And the logs and shredded branches are being carried to another area a block away...  The plant has destroyed heron nesting grounds in order to stack their logs.  I admit the herons were a bit of a pain with all their racket and a distinctive odor... but they were there first!

Now... I try to think positively here...  The industrial plant with their three divisions have always landscaped very nicely.  By Japanese standards their buildings and grounds look very nice and I haven't minded at all walking past their compound.

And all this construction must mean that the Japanese economy is looking up.  That is very good.  Our little town really needs some new jobs even if just for the part time housewives and young people.

My main concern, my selfish concern... besides the herons, is that there are rumors that the road in front of our house will have to be widened in order to accommodate all the cars that will hold new employees.

"Tetsu, if they do that, I AM OUT OF HERE !"

Where... I don't know.

"Hang in there, Tanya.  It is just a rumor.  We can't just pick up and move.  It will be a couple of years before the city starts talking about building roads here (we checked with someone in the know)."

"Great!  Then we have a couple of years to look for a more secluded home."

I'm keeping an eye on the construction...  I really do like where I live right now and would not want to move... The herons and I are of the same mind on this.

9 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm sorry. I know how it is to have you home area invaded. We live in the city and dream of getting into the country. I don't know if that will ever come, but I picture a log home in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid one day that will happen where I live in the country too, we are three miles from the town up on top of a ridge with a lot of trees on our property, but in recent years there are more and more houses going in - used to be one house across the road from us now they have two more on the same property - one for the daughter and family, and one for elderly grandparents - then they put in a small engine repair shop too!! thank heavens I have trees hiding most of it from my house - it wasn't like this 32 years ago when we moved here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on the edge of a forest ... then came houses and more and more housed. The drains weren't built for all those streets and houses so gradually, when it rained, the water rose in our basement ... even though we were living on top of a hill. Well, I left that home and moved to Japan, on the edge of fields growing daikon (Nerima dikon were famous) cabbage, rice, winter wheat, season after season of produce. There are still a few fields but you can hardly find them among the apartments and danchi. Oh yes, the little garden in front of our house will become an expanded road so cars can pass a foot from our livingroom window. Hopefully it won't happen in my lifetime because I don't think I could take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so sad to see nature being ruined, and the ruckus from the herons is better than the ruckus from trucks, machinery and humans.
    In my neighbourhood in Tokyo the large gardens are being butchered into several tiny plots. Where trees and plants used to grow, three storey houses are sprouting like mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We live on rural property. Last year a small slice of our land was claimed by eminent domain (remember 7th grade civics? I never thought it would apply to me.) in order for the Dept. of Transportation to comply with new federal laws concerning the width surrounding bridges. So they cut down all the trees, much like your area, and like you, I am not altogether pleased with our new view. Encroaching on my bucolic surroundings...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were fortunate that the remains of a Roman Villa were discovered in the field next to our house, so it will never be built on ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband & I recently bought a house in a rural area of Louisiana. There are a few neighbors, but mostly we enjoy the soybean & rice fields that are right next to us and across the road along with the trees that are in the distance in the back. We feel so fortunate to enjoy the beauty of nature for as long as we can. We hope it remains farmland for many, many years!
    Mona R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my - I think I would be wanting to move, too! Here in the US we would be up in arms about taking away a Heron nesting place, too! I hope it doesn't get any worse, Tanya!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This type of thing is sadly happening around the world Tanya. I live on the coast of North Carolina, so much of the beautiful beaches have been destroyed for houses and businesses with no heed that all the pollution is killing the wildlife. Where there use to be plentiful fish and shellfish there is no more! If the wildlife cannot survive it will not be that far into the future that mankind will not be able to survive. So sad for the animals! :((

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.