Saturday, June 29, 2013

Hydrangeas here, hydrangeas there, everywhere hydrangeas, hydrangeas!

I had an absolutely wonderful Saturday yesterday... thanks to Tetsu's planning again.  I had told him a couple of weeks ago that he really didn't need to feel he had to take me places every weekend as I rather enjoyed sewing at home while he puttered in the yard.  I'm afraid he was a bit hurt as he'd thought he was doing me a favor finding places I could show on my blog...

"Tetsu, we've about run out of places within driving distance.  I LIKE staying at home too!"

So we've had a couple of quiet weekends but yesterday we were off and about again.  So today I have LOTS of pictures of a hydrangea park that we visited.  I think hydrangeas are my favorite flower though Tetsu says the bushes are so ugly in the winter that he doesn't particularly want them in his yard.

 The entrance to the park.  So many colors and shapes of hydrangeas!

Hydrangeas seem so mystical to me with the way the different colors all mix and blend together.  Deep dark blues next to white blossoms.  Some plants have purple and pink and blue flowers all blooming at the same time!

Hydrangeas, hydrangeas... everywhere we looked there were hydrangeas.

 Hydrangeas and the Japanese bamboo fences just seem to go together.

 Hydrangeas and bamboo just go together!

And I just love seeing big leaves sprinkled with raindrops and dew.

There are so many new hybrids of hydrangeas.  I love this type with a crown of blossoms around the frothy center.

Oh dear...  Here's another one I can't bear to not post.  Tetsu and I drove an hour or so to this park and got there around 9:00 so last evening's rain was still evident on the petals.

I think this is called the fireworks variety... The white bursts against the dark leaves of the forest really reminded me of fireworks!

Well, here I am enjoying the scenery.

That was the morning visit to the park... more tomorrow about our next stop... a magical art museum.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I love all the variety of blooms. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tanya, you're making me think my planned trip to Japan should be in the summer! Thank you, Tetsu, for finding so many lovely places for Tanya to photograph and share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen hydrangeas in the UK and in Sweden but they have never been as impressive, nor as suitable to the season, as the
    ajisai' is here in the rainy season. Indeed they go well with raindrops, bamboo and small green frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I love hydrangeas, also. The blue color comes from extra iron in the soil. Driving an old railroad stake near the roots will make the white ones turn blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet of Tetsu to take you places... he's a keeper! Those hydrangeas are beautiful. I smile every time I look out my kitchen window and see the one in my yard blooming blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blooms, and your photos show them perfectly. Bamboo fences are lovely, with raindrops too. Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are in bloom here too. I think I need to look and see if anyone has a hydrangea park in NC. They looks so lovely enmasse. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! We can only grow them inside as they die in the winter from the cold. BUT they are such a spectacular plant--thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely. I have one lonely pink hydrangea in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Beautiful pictures. We have lots of hydrangeas here as well. Did you know that you can change the color of the blooms by changing the ph of the soil? I have lots of hydrangeas and have even propagated them from cuttings. I think they must be really hardy plants. I have a variety that is called lady in red or something like that. It blooms blue but then turns a deep red as the summer progresses.
    I love the idea of a hydrangea park! Thank you for sharing this. I've even made a hydrangea quilt and quilted bag - I love hydrangeas :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures are so beautiful, Tanya! Love seeing your cheerful face too :)
    Thank you for sharing your trip to this garden. Your blogposts just make my morning brighter and happier!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this beauty with us, it's all just gorgeous! (You too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photographs are amazing! You are certainly becoming a great photographer too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You take excellent photographs. Thank you so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Toshimaen, in my neighborhood, has a Hydrangea (Ajisai ) Matsuri every year. It is amazing the variety of color and configuration that have been developed in the last 20 years. I love the Gaku-ajisai with the frame of male flowers. At least Tetsu drives. When we travel by car, I have to drive and Paul sleeps.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.