Monday, June 24, 2013

Picasa

Some blog readers asked how I put Bible verses on my pictures.  I use a software (is that what is is called?) called Picasa that I downloaded for free years ago.  I have no remembrance of how I found it nor how I figured out how it works.  There is probably a paid for version that does more things but I've only used the free download.

You can find the website here.


So once I got Picasa downloaded, it seems to automatically import my photo folders into its whatever...  And then I can chose pictures to edit as I like.


For example, when I click on a picture then I get a choice of ways to edit...

Recropping is a favorite because I can get in closer to an image than what I photoed.

And Straighten is handy when I find I've shot something crooked (I use this so often that I'm getting a complex... I think my head is on crooked.) 

The I'm Feeling Lucky shifts the contrast and the color automatically and sometimes I like the software's interpretation more than I like my own camera settings.

Retouch is good for taking out license plate numbers...

And there is that Text button which I use to add text to a picture.

Fonts can be changed... as can the alignment and the text size.  Also the color.

When I have a layout I like then I click the export button and I get a small watermark so that my name stays on the picture... I really would like other options on the watermark option but since Picasa is free I'm not complaining...

There are other pages offered too for editing.  (5 pages in all I see)  And tint or sepia or black and white are added options.

Wow!  What about that one?  I've never used that button before!  It is called pencil sketch.

Picasa also offers a collage creation button and after choosing certain photos the software makes a collage... and you can shuffle the pictures or put gridding between them etc.  I use the collage option at the end of every year when I count up how many quilts I've made...

So there you have it.  Picasa has worked well for me...  I've tried my friend's expensive photo software but it was way too confusing for me.  Picasa lets me play a bit but I don't get too confused. 

Give it a try!  If I can do it then anyone can do it!    

12 comments:

  1. I always wondered how people did this and I've always admired your pictures. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Picasa too, and use most of what you showed. Great fun, and so easy to "undo" if you don't like the finished product!!! Lovely collage idea, mine didn't turn out so good as yours. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded Picasa and use the collage feature and crop all the time as well as the drop box to add pictures to my blog. I really have to try some of the other features especially the text;I didn't even know it was there. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have pictures stored on Picasa but I never know how to move them from the file to the blog (let alone edit them). I really need to get a bit more adventuresome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tanya for explaining your beautiful photos with scripture added. I want to try that when I get better at picture taking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I need to learn. Thank you for the information, Tanya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use Picassa, but, I've never had the courage to mess with the 'fun' stuff. I had to switch to the paid version. I'd downloaded too many pictures. I like the 'share' feature. I can send a group of pictures to family members without having to attach each one. If they are computer savvy, they can then 'use' my pictures if they want to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Picassa all the time. The first time I downloaded it I loved how it went all over my computer and found all my pictures. Now they are stored in one easy to find spot and I can do all kinds of things to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the tutorial. I have an old version of Picasa . Never used all of its options but I will try your tutorial to put a verse on a picture to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd forgotten all about Picasa, I'd downloaded when I had to buy a new computer last year. I will have to play with some of my photos, looks like one can be very creative with a minimum of learning as I have no patience for most of the more difficult photo editors. Ani in NC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial! I use picasa, but also not to the extent you do, i used it mostly to share photos. Love your blog, and I finally figured out hoe to add it to feedly, and i am playing catch-up.
    Hello from NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your blog. I am glad I figured out how to add it to feedly. Great tutorial, I'm just reading all your posts in the new bloh.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.