Thursday, June 13, 2013

Julie at My Quilt Diary

I know many of my blog friends already visit Julie over at My Quilt Diary but if you don't usually, you ought to stop in. 

First off... On this post, Julie wrote about her quilt that won first prize on the online quilt show at Michele at Quilting Gallery.  I didn't take the picture off her post so you will have to go see it yourself on her blog...  It is absolutely fantastic.  How I'd like to applique a quilt like that!!!  Julie is a hand-piecer and hand appliquer...  I think she said she doesn't even have a sewing machine!  Looking at her quilts makes me want to go back to basics.  Please go see her beautiful, beautiful quilt!

Julie and I have been blog friends for a couple of years now though we've not yet met in person.  Julie, like me, has married this country of Japan and we can sympathize about the pluses and minuses of being a foreigner in our adopted country. 

Last month Julie went out to the northern part of Japan to help organize a couple patchwork and quilting sessions for some of the women living in temporary housing since the earthquake and tsunami.  She said that there are sixty such community groups and she was able to lead two sewing sessions using scraps and materials from her own stash.  Someone made a wonderful video featuring Julie and her thoughts about making quilts and about life in general.  It was the first time for me to "hear" Julie speak her thoughts (as opposed to reading them).  Maybe you can follow this link to the video here... or of course you can see it through Julie's blog too.

I am reminded of my friendship with Julie daily because she sent me a cheery table runner a couple of years ago and it brightens my dining room table everyday!

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful friend you have in Julie! And such a lovely video!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie is indeed a wonderful person; you can see it in her quilting and all the various activities she is involved in to help others.If you have a chance, do meet up with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie sure seems to be a kindred spirit. She is quite a service to help the survivors of the tsunami. I hope that the two of you will get to meet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a wonderful video! I have seen Julie's comments for several years on your blog, but didn't know she had a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been following her blog for a while since have read about her on your blog. She is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya, when my son put my paper diary into a blog I had no idea what it was all about ... other than my kids could spy on my progress. At that time he went to the web and put a few blogs on my side bar ... to make it look more official?? And, there you were! Fate? You have been my role model ever since .. both in blogging and living in Japan. Meeting in person will be the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Julie live so close together, it would be a missed opportunity for you not to get together. Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for linking to that video - I have followed Julie for awhile now and it was so nice to see her "in person"

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy I found your blog again, thanks for passing on the info :) Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Julie's kind smile.
    I always see her comments on here....it was nice to meet her!
    Regards from Gail in Wa State

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet of you to feature Julie. She and I have scouting in common, too. I'm hoping to get to meet up with her sometime when she is in Ohio. It's only a few states away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love hearing Julie and what a good thing to do to help others. Now we need a video of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.