Standing at the crosswalk every morning is a really nice way to start the day. I like greeting the children, I like smiling at the passing cars. So far there has never been any situation that has been too dangerous. Among my activities I open the school gates (and close them afterwards); I greet the sweet shop owner and her cat; I pick up trash if I find any along the road; if it is raining I wipe down the guard rails.
I exchange greetings with the high school students riding their bikes to school, and I say hello to the jr. high students also on their bikes (usually get no response from them); I chat with the vice principal who comes to crosswalk also; I ask about skinned knees or missing glasses or unusual items being brought to school. The children suffer patiently the routine of checking the traffic in English,
"Look both ways...! Right! Left! Right! Okay!"
One more of my duties is to make sure students follow the traffic rules.
No hands in their pockets. (This is so that if they fall down they won't smash their faces. Sorry... I don't make the rules... I've yet to see a child fall down face first.)
No sweatshirt or jacket hoods over their heads. (This is so that they can HEAR the traffic as well as see it... I too, am supposed to keep my hair pulled back behind my ears.)
And every child is supposed to wear a yellow hat... In the case of boys, a yellow cap, in the case of girls, a yellow beret type hat. An occasional child will forget his or her hat at home and I'll ask where it might be and they'll tell me it is either forgotten in the school or in their house. Usually the next day the child will be wearing the hat again.
Recently I have one 6th grade girl who doesn't wear a hat. The first couple days I ignored it... "She's forgotten it somewhere." (One time a boy lost his hat for the whole week... He'd left it at swim school.) And then I asked her about it.
"It's in my bag."
"Well, tomorrow put it on please."
I certainly don't want the children to start out the day being scolded so I try to keep my tone light.... Sometimes that doesn't work. Today, the 6th grade girl is still not wearing her hat and it is still being carted around in her bag. She pulled it out to show it to me!
"I have my hair in a ponytail. My hat won't fit over it!"
She doesn't seem to care that the yellow hat is supposed to be making her more visible to drivers...
I also have a jr. high school boy who completely ignores my guidance about wearing his bicycle helmet. He most often gets away without wearing the helmet by taking a road going away from my crosswalk thereby not having to meet up with me at all.... But I see him in the distance... and he comes into my neighborhood before and after school, never wearing the helmet that sits in the bicycle basket. I figure it is my job to make noises about the helmet when I am in uniform but I don't when I'm just out walking Choco. I wonder if I'm sending the poor boy mixed messages...
Everybody thinks fashion over safety...
Here is a picture of Takumi in his high school days when hair spiking was so important to him. In high school there are no longer any rules about wearing a bicycle helmet.
I am laughing about "no walking with hands in pockets": that has always been a rule of mine after my husband told me the story (from decades ago) when his brother knocked his two front teeth out, slipping on ice when his hands were in his pockets.
ReplyDeleteI am NOT laughing about riding bikes without helmets. My family is full of cyclists - husband, kids (collegiate cyclists and competitive racers). Having witnessed a collegiate cyclist who was hit by a car right out front of our house, and hearing the sheriff's quote that his helmet saved him - well, that has only confirmed my conviction from many years of helmet use. Tell your student (how to translate?): Be safe, or be roadkill.
What really gets me is a mother on a bike with one kid on the front and one on the back, no helmets, and the lady is texting on her keitai! I was standing at the light, waiting for it to change and she ran right into me.
ReplyDeleteI suspect that if a child had both hands in their pockets they would fall face forward. The spiky hair story made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was at High School, we had to wear our berets. blazers and ties, until we were home. I had to go by bus for about 30 minutes, then ride a bike, (no gears in those days) for 1.5 miles, those were the days, in the 1950's!!! Greetings from Jean. p.s. Yellow is a very good, bright, safe colour.
ReplyDeleteWhen do children in Japan get out of school for the summer?
ReplyDeleteWhen the manufacturer of school caps, bicycle helmets and safety wear make goods that are as stylish as they are safe, then young users will be wanting to wear them all the time.
ReplyDeleteDon AKB48 or other popular idol groups out in school helmets and the young fans will refuse to take off their head gear!
Safety first! We live and breathe safety while at sea. While at home, we could probably do a better job at it. ;)
ReplyDelete