Sunday, June 9, 2013

Computer glasses

This weekend I dragged Tetsu to the glasses store and ordered him some new glasses.  Tetsu does not go shopping much.  He does not buy for himself.  He does not have a hobby that he cultivates.  With Fathers' Day and our anniversary and Tetsu's 60th birthday coming up, I've been trying to figure out something I could buy him.

You know the type of person when you ask what they'd like, they say,

"Oh, nothing at all.  I have everything I need.  There is nothing I want.  I just want YOU to be happy."

That is no help at all when buying a present for them.

Now, I've been thinking about this for a few weeks.  I could buy Tetsu an iPad.  Or I could buy him a hardcore camera kit.  Those are things that he could get attached to... but in truth, those are probably things that I want, not that he has shown a particular interest in.

And then I heard about PC glasses.  (Personal Computer in Japanese).  Tetsu spends a lot of time in front of the computer (at work.  Zero time in front of a computer at home.)  He comes home in the evening complaining about tired eyes and how he can't find a comfortable range of vision with his bifocals.

But I know Tetsu, and I know he won't buy them himself and I know he won't let me buy them for him because anything over $25 he thinks is too much to spend on himself.  So Saturday I had to extract a promise from him not to complain and not to balk when I took him out shopping.  With a lot of teasing and flirting it still took all morning to get him to come with me to a mystery store.  I actually had a lot of fun being the controlling wife for a day.

So next week Tetsu will get his special blue light protection, eye-sight relaxation, prescription PC glasses.  I will hope that they make a difference in Tetsu's tired eyes.

"This is your birthday, anniversary and Father's Day all rolled in one."

(When looking for a picture for this post from the Internet I came across this one from one of the Japanese company's glasses advertisements.  I don't think computer hackers should get any help from special glasses.  By the way... Tetsu's glasses will be a bit more conservative.)

7 comments:

  1. I wish they could produce computers that were good for your eyesight! Until then I hope Testu likes the loving gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you will give us a report on how they work. Hopefully they will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya, I know exactly what you mean....my husband's birthday is also Father's Day this year and our anniversary is quite soon afterwards (and I'll be half=way across the USA helping out at my daughter's home as she is having baby #5). So what to get him? I finally figured it out. He's getting an electric iced tea maker...we used to have one and he loved that we had iced tea every day. It's been missing for years (I think one of the kids may have taken it to college). I might even get him a toaster as ours has also been broken for 6 months.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not even know such glasses existed! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice you found such a thoughtful and great gift for your husband!
    Tetsu sounds soooo much like my own husband except I think his limit is about $5.00 "How much is it?" are always the first words out of his mouth. Must be from being a child in the post-WWII era, do you think? I'm with you about that ad, pretty shocking to romanticize hackers like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tanya! I'm retired now. When I was working, my job was like. HIV lab I worked in admin work. All day looking at the computer monitor. A lot of problems for me an important fact mine = multifocal glasses! Finally, I noticed that the seat be raised up high. The meeting time is well up, looking at the screen from different angles. Immediately my eyes got better! This can be improved, and the new glasses will be perfect! Welcome to Tetsu, and embrace you with love. Erika, Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Tetsu likes his glasses - I have them and cannot live without them anymore! They have an amber colored lense and really keep your eyes from being fatigued! I have the same problem with my husband - what to get him!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.