Friday, December 13, 2013

McKenna Christmas quilts

This week Mrs. Furui hung the McKenna quilts that we have been working on, up on the hospital wall where she volunteers.

Mrs. Furui, Mrs. Yamaguchi and I have slowly been working on these since early this year, purchasing and making the quilts and then LOANING them to the hospital.  When we ordered the kits we all felt guilty spending so much money on ourselves but if we were making them for the HOSPITAL... well, that was another question...  We agreed to putting together the kits, (and reveling in the beautiful fabrics), learning new techniques (machine quilting for Mrs. Furui and Mrs. Yamaguchi) and exhibiting them at the hospital this Christmas season.

Mrs. Yamaguchi did the long narrow vertical quilt with the cardinals (I made an identical one), I made the long wide one with the moon scene and Mrs. Furui made the teddy bear snowman quilt.

As much as I look forward to hanging my Christmas McKenna quilt in my own home NEXT year, I'm thrilled to have the three-some together where hospital visitors can enjoy them.  Don't they make a nice trio?

14 comments:

  1. Just stunning. I'm sure that everyone who sees them will feel their spirits lift.

    Joanne in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. they sure do - - I have thought to make one of hers also for Christmas. I have one woody scene that I made hanging in the camper and I have an eagle pattern that I have not made yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. You ladies are awesome.
    Jean in Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! They do look so lovely together. How very nice to loan them to the hospital for the season, then bring them home to display each year after that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and how generous of you to share them with others at the hospital. Merry Christmas, Tanya.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, they look fantastic together, yet you'll love having yours back home too. Have you decided on next year's project yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tanya, they are so lovely, I would call them a "Triptych" and am so sure they will be much admired by many. Love the way the borders match them up , McKenna has a great talent, and she shares it world wide. And the rest is up to the quilter/stitcher/ and those who see the finished hanging. Greetings, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are lovely Tanya, and a very good place to bring in a bit more cheer to people who need it.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI, Chookyblue sent me over here. Your group of 3 quilts look lovely together and I am sure that the visitors to the hospital will enjoy admiring them too.
    I started a McKennas Ryan pattern - Sea Creatures - quite as few years ago and next year I plan to finally put them together in a quilt. I have a few friends with a similar problem (ie a quilt started but not finished, so I am starting a group blog where we can all share our journey and motivate each other to get our quilts done. Pop over for a visit if you are interested...its not starting til the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great and yes the hospital ladies will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous. They look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You ladies have brought a lot of cheer to people that need it most....those in hospital and also the workers. Also to all of us in your blog, especially our home. My husband had to have open heart surgery unexpectedly, he is recovering nicely.
    Merry Christmas,
    Liz


    ReplyDelete
  13. Love them and they look so great together. I have never made one of hers but this makes me want to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb, so nicely finished. Well done
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.