I haven't done hand quilting for so long that my fingers were aching. This may not be just from lack of practice. I had bought a different brand of quilting needles and they seemed long or thicker or something. And I had used batiks for this quilt and I'm pretty sure the fabric weave and finish isn't conducive to hand quilting. I'll be glad when I get this finished.
In the evening Y-kun got some more blocks made from my string bin. He enjoyed laying out his blocks (don't all quilters!) He has 20 blocks now and we were trying to figure out how many more he might need.
"It depends on how big a quilt you want. This seems a bit small to me. We have the fabric and the time, why don't you just keep making blocks for awhile."
Y-kun and I also discussed what time he was going to come over on Christmas Eve this year. He has plans to come at 9:00 AM and spend the day with me. That's fine but I really am supposed to have ladies' English class that morning... Hmm. Are they going to want to come to English on Christmas Eve? Maybe I'll have Y-kun come in the afternoon.
"I'll come early like I planned. You can teach the ladies English and I'll stay upstairs in the sewing room and sew."
Spoken like a real quilter!
"Quilt til you wilt", Y-kun! Great job!
ReplyDeleteY-Kun, this quilt is looking so good, please make more blocks, so if at any time you get a larger longer bed... it will still fit. Lovely colours, you are already a " Real Quilter". Tanya, your hand stitching is wonderful. Cheers to all, Jean.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good plan to me. I love seeing Y-kun enjoy sewing so much. His blocks are looking fantastic. You're a wonderful teacher/mentor/friend to him.
ReplyDeleteHe is a sweet young man! Tell him Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteReading about Y-kun and his quilt makes me very happy. Your Bethlehem star is as beautiful as can be, shining, peaceful, and gracious. It is hard to hand-quilt little circles so that they pop out and are obviously berries, as you are doing, so you are overcoming the challenges of needle and fabric.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as if there are several things conspiring against you in your hand quilting, but you'll get there in the end I'm sure. Y-kun is so clearly very fond of you (and your sewing machine) and will have a wonderful memory of your times together once his quilt is finished.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a blessing to this young man. God knew he needed such a wonderful friend.
ReplyDeleteThanks Taniwa for letting Y-kun into your life. You have enriched his life to the point that it will make all the difference for the future! Well done
ReplyDeleteTaniwa, there is a Japanese company that makes needles especially for hand sewing through batiks. Not sure of their name, but maybe you can find them. They showed them at Houston quilt market and my girlfriend came back with a pack and they are wonderful. They sew through batiks like butter! Diane in Florida
ReplyDeleteWhat a better present on Christmas Eve that getting to sew, without pressure? You go Y-Kun!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of Y-kun and his quilt blocks. Looks like he is hooked big time.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful thing you are teaching this youngster! His quilt will be a treasure, maybe the first of many he will make in his life?
ReplyDeleteI hope my future grandson will like sewing like Y-kun does. His blocks are looking great!
ReplyDelete