Tetsu is not ready to model his sweater yet. It was too large at the ribbing and so I spent a couple hours sewing in elastic thread. I made Tetsu try it on and so that I could evaluate it and I think it looks better (but not great). When I got out my camera Tetsu said he had to get spruced up for my blog friends before I could show it off. No overnight grunge for him on this blog. Maybe tomorrow (or the next day).
So the new project is one using some absolutely gorgeous yarn from June! She spins her own yarn! June sent me two skeins last year that have been put away until I could come up with an appropriate project. Isn't the teal/lavender combination beautiful? It has sparkly gold threads in it too! I have a lot of clothing with teal in it so I may keep this for myself, or I may send the finished scarf on to Leiya. She asked for a heavy scarf for Christmas but Tetsu's sweater took priority.
I had some white yarn in my stash (where does this stuff come from? I don't remember buying white yarn) and I will add strips of color to it until I use up June's yarn. I probably should have made the white strips wider in order to make a longer scarf, but I'm not taking this out now. I am LOOSELY following a pattern from Interweave Knits called Snowflake Scarf.
I've got a ways to go haven't I? A good winter project to do over the New Year holidays.
Beautiful yarn, the close-up shows it so well, and yes, a long/little way to go, depends how long it needs to be. Always good to have some knitting on the go for cold days. Cheers from Jean
ReplyDeleteHi... I'm a lurker, never having commented... and I do love your blog. Your quilt colors are beautiful! Learning about Japanese customs is very interesting, and your blog reflects a more gentle way of life.
ReplyDeleteI'm a quilter and knitter, and I wanted to make a suggestion. It is possible to take the cuffs and bottom ribbing off, make some decreases so that those areas would draw in more, then continue to knit down until you bind off, where previously you cast on (if that makes sense). You could estimate how much to decrease by researching the ratio of stitches on cuff and borders to to the main part of the sweater. I think I've seen info on Knitty and Ravelry. Probably you would insert a lifeline, then cut a row below the lifeline and get it all back on the needles. Hope this was helpful. --Annette in Omaha, NE.
I agree with Annette on that solution. Elastic does not have a very long life compared to a sweater. The yarn from June is beautiful. I think your pattern shows it off nicely.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Julie! Later, as I thought about my published remarks, I felt I had been a little too eager, and not good with blog etiquette. -Annette
DeleteThe yarn from June is really beautiful. Love the teal/lavender color combination.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteHave you tried to wash Tetsu's sweater, in case it would shrink. If it does, it might change your next move.
Happy New Year and Best Wishes to you and your family!
Carole Y. from Canada