Not really....
My friend had sent me a Nabe set... a special "stew" made in a pot. All I had to provide was the pot!
Most places in Japan will have special local dishes or sweets and it is part of the fun of visiting places to try the specialties. My friend goes back and forth to the prefecture of Akita and so she sent me an Akita Nabe set.
Let's see what's in the box....
A soy sauce based bottle of flavoring, green onions, a type of Japanese watercress, some shaved burdock root, ground chicken, sliced chicken, chicken soup, maetake mushrooms, and konyaku (a gelatinous potato) noodles and some crushed rice balls. It is the crushed rice balls that make this nabe an Akita specialty. The rice is slightly crushed with a mortar and pestle and then grilled to make them crispy.
Here are the konyaku noodles. They come tied up and I just had to cut through the knot.
The mushrooms I tore to bite-sized.
I made the ground chicken into balls and then everything except the watercress and rice balls went into the pot.
After simmering for 20 minutes, I finally added the water cress and rice balls. Yum!
A taste of Akita and we didn't even have to leave home!
That looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteA One Pot Meal, super, and all brought to you, truly " Meals on Wheels". Greetings to you both, Jean.
ReplyDeleteThat looks so good! In restaurants here, we can only get nabe yaki udon, which is usually very good but it would be nice to try some variations like this one! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteThat's the way to travel ... from the kitchen to the table!
ReplyDeletemmmmmm...yummy! Happy New Year to you, Tetsu and your family. My New Year cards are going to be late this year.
ReplyDeleteI love this! I'm really ignorant about Japanese cooking and you are giving us an insight into it in such nice ways. I went online and looked for recipes for this dish and learned how to make rice balls and Inari Age and other things. See, I love tofu, and am always looking for ways to use it. Now, to find Inari Age in our neck of the woods. I think I'll have to order online, though. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteI am becoming a "world traveler" and not even leaving Middle TN! Thank you so much for sharing! I am so glad I found your blog. Have a great Sunday----TN time.
ReplyDelete