I've gotten out my heavy (looking) coat and ski gloves and Ugghs for crosswalk duty. I'm supposed to be wearing a full uniform of heavy pants, a dress shirt, a necktie, a heavy jacket, black boots (of my choice) and white regulation heavy gloves and regulation hat. For winter I was given a heavy (looking) coat and a square of white lightweight lining fabric to be used as a scarf. My regulation uniform is not very warm.
As I am in my fourth year, I've slipped into my own attempts to preserve body heat as I stand out in the shady area in front of the school. I retired my regulation heavy gloves for some white ski gloves with liners inside. I wear my PAJAMAS under my dress shirt and jacket and heavy (looking) coat. It is just too hard to change clothes again and again in the icy mornings. I don't understand the lightweight "scarf" but it keeps out the wind and hides the fact that I'm not wearing my regulation necktie.
The heavy (looking) coat is not heavy nor warm and I have been looking longingly at black down jackets wondering if I could substitute something else. It's not like someone from the city office will hold a dress code check at 7:30 in the morning at the crosswalk... Still, regulation is regulation and the heavy (looking) coat is the most visible part of me. (Last year's picture in uniform... with the sweet shop baby.)Tetsu tends to think that I am following the rules too strictly and that other crosswalk officers are probably supplementing their uniforms with additions and better quality wear. Still... I like to do things properly... I already fudge enough on my daily duty log. Just writing something everyday in Japanese is a job in itself so instead of hand writing it (impossible!) I use the computer. If nothing else the officials who read my log each month must get a great laugh... (or they wish they could fire me.) I'd better not push my luck and just wear the heavy (looking) coat.
My rule #1, Rules are meant to be broken! Actually, I got a very cheap thin down vest from UNICLO and can wear it under even a wind-breaker to keep warm.
ReplyDeleteDaily duty log? Does the job really have that much variety from day to day? Add comments about the required clothing being insufficient.
Can't you wear a sweater or cardigan under your coat, surely no-one would notice that. With the scarf they can't even see if you're wearing the correct shirt or not.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to suggest thermal/silk/Cuddle duds underwear as a start...if available to you.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen "thermal" (it's not the waffle pattern, just layered) interfacing? I think you might be able to insert some between your coat's lining and outer layer by opening up the lining. Probably a fiddly project but might help keep you warmer without looking any different from the other crossing guards.
Joanne in PA
What about "insulated underwear", that is so popular here in the states? I once gave a pair (top and bottoms) to a Sensei of Kathleen's as omiyagi when she was studying Aia-do. (I don't think I spelled that right). Sasahara-Sensei was always cold.
ReplyDeletethermal underwear - then you can wear whatever they want you to and you'll be toasty
ReplyDeletethermal underwear - and then you can wear whatever they want you to over it!
ReplyDeleteYou might ask for a bigger coat and wear a wool sweater or down long vest/coat under it. You could line your scarf with wool. Have you tried to wear wool underwear!
ReplyDeleteTake care,
You might ask for a bigger size coat and wear a wool sweater or down coat under it. Have you tried to wear wool underwear; it would keep you warm.
ReplyDeleteYou could line your scarf with wool!
Take care
Add a fleece liner to the coat, it doesn't look that warm to me. And a set of thermal underwear! Stocking cap under the scarf, might help. My oldest son was always afraid he would fall down outside and not be able to get up, he had so many layers of clothing on. He was so cute, he just waddled around the yard with his arms sticking out stiff, from all the layers of clothes. We were in Illinois and had real winters, but he went out everyday for a few minutes of fresh air.
ReplyDelete