Sunday, December 15, 2013

Morning juice

Tetsu and I have been faithfully drinking our morning fresh juice.  We are both happy with our juicer and drinking supermarket juice seems very bland these days.

That's not to say that juicing has solved all our health problems though.  Both Tetsu and I have caught colds this season which was discouraging because I had hoped that the fresh vitamin C would have held those viruses at bay.  And Tetsu's blood sugar has gone up (which I had been warned about)... maybe too many apples in our juice.  Of course having seconds at meals, making himself instant noodles at night and snacking on sweet bean cakes doesn't help Tetsu's blood sugar so I'm not ready to blame my juicing!  He will have to make an effort himself!

This morning's juice was...

Broccoli, a leafy vegetable called komatsuna (the closest I can get to kale), a carrot, an apple, a tomato, two kiwi fruit and a piece of yuzu which is similar to lemon...  and pretty potent.

Throw all of that into the juicer and.... We have JUICE!  Not a lot of juice but enough for two nice juice glasses full.

Basically most of the combinations I've tried have been successful.  Let's see.  Y-kun and I tried putting in some icicle radish one time and the juice REALLY tasted like radish.  That batch was a bit hard to get down.  And I've learned that even one slice of onion will result in a day's aftertaste of onion.  I'll not try adding onion again.  Ginger is pretty potent too but pretending that I was drinking flat ginger ale helped.  Oh...  Okra was not a good idea at all.  The sliminess of the okra jammed up the juicer's mesh innards and we didn't get much juice and had a dickens of a time cleaning the juicer!

But pineapple, pears, oranges, strawberries all make wonderful juice and I am slowly working in celery, cucumbers and greens into our morning juice with few complaints from Tetsu.


Kampai!  (Cheers!)
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya - Here are some things to try in your juice - but definitely try to cut down on the fruit - it is too much sugar! Try to eliminate the kiwi and carrot slowly. Use a little extra apple and more lettuce (I use who heads of lettuce). Try a 2" piece of celery (not a whole stalk), a piece of ginger the size of your knuckle (a peanut m&m). The ginger and lemon together give the greens a pleasant twist.
    Try some bitter melon - the gut microbes are supposed to love it. In general, more green than not. I have not been sick in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy those veggies too much to turn them into juice. Raw onions are not on my list either because they follow me around for days. Paul's sugar is out of whack these days too and I know it is the snacking. The computer keyboard is full of crumbs every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like juice... However having had gastric bypass 4 years ago I would rather eat the fruit and veggies. Have you figured out the calories? I'm thinking beans are healthier and filling.
    Ruth in Oxnard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your veggie and fruit combinations sound good. I have had my juicer sitting on the counter for over a month waiting for me to make some juice. Thanks for the photos and ideas. I think I will try out your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since C had the heart attack earlier this year, he has cut down on snacks, portion sizes and cut out sweet spreads on toast, and as a consequence has lost about 18 pounds. I only hope he can stick to it and not put the weight back on. I used to use a juicer, but got fed up with the cost of it as it takes so much fruit and vegetables to produce a few mouthfuls of juice. Beetroot was good, and I put cucumber in fruit based juices too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take cinnamon capsules (2 a day) to help keep the blood sugar lower. It may not work for everyone, but it does for me. I wonder if you can get them in Japan?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.