Saturday, December 21, 2013

Wreaths

Yesterday Y-kun came to spend the day with Tetsu and me.  The purpose was to take him out to lunch...  Last year Y-kun came on Christmas Eve day (and he will this year too) but this Christmas Eve day Tetsu has to work, so lunch out was scheduled for yesterday.

Y-kun showed up at 9:00 (he wanted to come at 8:00) and Tetsu and I were doing things like washing dishes and raking leaves.  Y-kun had ideas right away for what he wanted to do in the morning.

"Let's make a wreath!  I know how to make wreaths!  We need to go into the forest and get vines!  Come on!  Let's take Choco and go into the forest!"

Tetsu opted to stay at home and rake leaves and Choco and Y-kun and I went off on a hunt for wreath materials.

Vines were pretty easy to find.  Y-kun stomped into the wild and hacked at vines and untangled branches.  He came back with quite a few nice ones (some he pronounced "empty", dried out).

 The vines we took back to Tetsu who helped fashion them into circles.

Y-kun also found branches, and berries, some short bamboo and some wild lily pods.  Tetsu was quite impressed that Y-kun could find all these materials just waiting to be woven into "something".

To be honest, Y-kun wasn't all that excited about making the wreath itself.  He likes the forest exploring part.  He kept giving up and saying he didn't have any artistic sense but HE was the one who started this project so I made him persevere and with a little help (from me) and advice (from Y-kun) we got two wreaths made.

This is mine... set on a stand with a wood plaque I had.

And this is Y-kun's.  With the bamboo it has a bit of a Japanese New Year feel to it.

I like Y-kun's best and it is now adorning my front door!

20 comments:

  1. Y-kin, you are a genius at making a wreath, Super doper!!! Tanya, like yours too, there is something magical about making a wreath out of what is left over by nature. Greetings from Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is very artistic and shows quite a way with natural materials. I would have been happy to have either of them at my house. Even better that they were collected materials. Ana US

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love using natural materials crafting. I made a little mat of sea weed washed up the beach, for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y-Kun is a very creative boy and self motivated. He comes up with great ideas. I like his wreath too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! What a wonderful project with beautiful results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y-kun, I always enjoy what you and Tanya do. You are both creative and I see so many nice things that you make. I'm waiting to see your quilt when it is complete. Have a good day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful wreaths you made, Y-kun and Tanya (AND Tetsu). Y-kun, I wish I lived close to Tanya, then I could learn all those things, too. Hugs, Pat in IN

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are both lovely but yes, there is something a bit special about the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These wreaths are so great! Y-kun is a talented guy. He will learn to persevere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The most amazing things happen to you! Or with you, or because of you. I am constantly surprised and delighted. Thank you for making me see wonder in the world with "Wreaths." Now I want to make a wreath, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an activity my Scouts would have enjoyed. Glad you encouraged Y-kun to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you do a wonderful work with your friend Y- Kun. You do such interesting crafts and sewing with him and I know he loves coming to work with you. The world needs more Tanya's!!!! You and Tetsu are making a difference in a young man's life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for Y-kun for having the great idea and to you for keeping him at it. I do so hope that he retains that enthusiasm and wonder as he grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great project - just lovely! I think the reason I love your Y-kun stories so much is because he looks so much like my grandson - who doesn't have a drop of Japanese blood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas, Y-kun!
    Sending you Greetings from
    Gail in Washington State

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing job Y-Kun did!!! Wonderful!!! You are such an inspiration to this young man!!! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice wreaths! That was a fun adventure with a lovely outcome. Thanks for sharing. Kathie in Washington State.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fun adventure for Y-kun! He did a lovely job with gathering and making a most charming quilt! Both your wreaths look wonderful hanging over the door. Wish you happy holidays and a magical Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tell Y-kun his wreath is beautiful - I am glad you made him persevere!! What a clever way to use 'found' objects. Merry Christmas Tanya, Tetsu and Y-kun!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Making wreaths out of materials found in the woods was a great idea. Y-Kun's asymmetric wreath is very artistic indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.