Fabric Christmas wreaths! In an hour's time the kids had great fun making their wreaths and decorating them with beads.
I borrowed Mrs. Furui's pinking shears and cut strips of Christmas fabric. Let's see... about 1 inch by 5 inches. I also bought notebook rings at the hardware store.
Take a strip and with ends together...
...loop in around the closed ring. (Push the ends through the loop).
Pull the ends tight.
Tight enough means more strips can be added to make the wreath full. Too tight and the ring pops open... I think we used about 12 strips to each ring. I had thought each child would use one color but they mixed and matched different strips (different lengths too I see..)
I had found some stick-on pearl beads (for cell phone covers!) in the dollar store, and I cut up a green bead necklace I'd bought at the recycle shop (always on the lookout for craft materials). The older children are pretty confident with a hot glue gun these days and they glued on the ribbons and beads and the hanging loop.
And for my two 6th grade boys (you can spot Y-kun there) they opted to make pillow cases for their Christmas project. Both boys had fun rooting around in my stash cupboard. S-kun chose some Christmas fabric with gold trees... He is going to wake up with gold all over his face in the mornings!
Great Christmas crafts. I like the wreaths and the pillow cases.
ReplyDeleteLovely projects! I'm going to add them to suggestions for our little quilt guild, if you don't mind. We keep a book of quick projects in the club room. Usually, I copy the post as a pdf file, then, print it and add it to the book. May I do that with your post, please? It won't have any personal information on it. Kathie in Washington State.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea! I have some bangles I thought would be useful, but everything I have tried to do with them is just too fiddly and time consuming. But this would be a lot easier. Yes, needs more fabric than the rings you have, but then I can use up scraps left from other projects.
ReplyDeleteThanks for showing the wreaths!
And I hope you and ALL your family have a wonderfully Happy Christmas!
Sandy in the UK
You may have written about this in earlier posts, but can you explain the suffix "-kun" on the boys' names?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tutorial. Looks lovely.
ReplyDeleteAlso a merry Christmas and good wishes for 2014.
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Tanya! :)
ReplyDelete