I did the applique on the Kitty Tales and added a dog to my block. Does it look a little like Choco? I think there is supposed to be a heart on this too but the fabric is at Mrs. Furui's so it will have to be added later.
In recent years I've been doing applique using Pearl P. Pereira's freezer paper/starch method which means that there is quite a lot of preparation work before the actually sewing gets started. I have a Clover applique iron which gets into the tiny places and is extremely hot. I think of it as my craft soldering iron. I also use an applique stiletto tool and (sometimes a applique pressing tool) which takes a bit of coordination (stiletto in one hand and iron in the other.)
But the applique pieces come out tightly curved and the edges are crisp. Are the other ladies in our group going to be willing to put in all that preparation time? Should I go ahead and make all the applique pieces for them? Even though there aren't that many applique pieces in each block it's a lot of work... Maybe when sitting in front of the TV...
Tanya, love the wee bird, and even Choco there too. I applique using steam-a-seam or Visoflex, then a fancy buttonhole stitch at the very edge, or one that stitches on a slant. Lots of work when doing the edge turn under way!!! Lovely wee iron. Greetings from Jean
ReplyDeleteAdorable....addition of Choco is perfect!
ReplyDeleteOh,,, I started this applique technique when I visited Amidon Quiltworks booth at Paducah. She gave a fantastic tutorial while sitting there on how to create beautiful pieces to applique. Does take work but so worthwhile. Ana US
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would have the patience to do it that way. Needle turn is fine with me.
ReplyDeleteI love that you put Choco in this piece, but then, I am more of a dog person than a cat person. I love that you have such patience and dedication to doing applique properly. Neat tools, they look well used and maintained. I have a lot of patience but not when it comes to doing applique correctly. So I don't. But I appreciate the craft!
ReplyDeleteI do a lot of freezer paper applique' and love the result. I've just begun reading your blog and enjoy it very much. Lovely piece. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete