This is the view from my mother's front door. On the left there you can see my brother's house, barely a hop and a skip away.
I was headed up a hillside this morning, into a residential area above the valley. At the first ten minute mark, the only thing photogenic was some nice plumeria growing in a yard.
And finally at the top of the hill... about 15 or 20 minutes into my walk. I've never tried to go up farther as I huff and puff just to get up this far. Probably the view is more spectacular from higher up or there is no view from the street because of all the homes. This view is spectacular enough for me and I always take a once-a-year picture from this viewpoint.
Here's another shot from under a palm tree.
I stayed around a few minutes shooting with different modes on my camera so my walk timing got discombobulated. Lots of DRY flowers and brush around.
Okay, let's start on down the other side of the hill. Ten more minutes of walking and lots of beautiful homes. I liked the driveway lamps that were still lit along the street.
Ah... Here we are back on the main road. My legs got a workout today on those hills. And up in the extremely tall trees (sorry I didn't take the telescopic lens today) were the neighbors' noisy peacocks.
Another ten minutes and I reach my old high school there on the left. I marvel at the fact that I probably walked to the high school only three or four times in my four years of attending the school and yet after I hit middle-age I make this walk everyday of every summer.
I found someone peering down at me. What is this? I don't think it is hawk... but we have those too in the area. Sadly all too often we hear of people losing their cats or dogs from hawks and coyotes (which I haven't spotted yet though they were great abundance last summer). I guess hawks and coyotes and this fellow have to eat too.
Not too photogenic but a shot of my brother's long driveway leading from the street. The house is way back at the end behind the farthest trees.
And here we are a minute later back at my brother's/mother's house. My mother's casita is directly in front, my brother's main house is to the right. That big window used to be my old bedroom when I was a child and Kiana occupies it now. The house is set back away from everything and everybody, no traffic, not much noise. Everybody, including my mother, meanders back and forth from house to house.
And once home from my walk (today it was an hour and ten minutes) I'm ready for some Trader Joe's granola!
I believe that is a hawk of some type - we have a lot of them in Arkansas. Looks like you have a good walk - enjoy your time with your family.
ReplyDeleteLovely walk, and to have your Mum's home so close to family, what a bonus. Sunrise, they are superb, all the world over. Here we have a frost and maybe another super sunny day. Enjoy family time Tanya, some shopping, quilting, sewing for family, and sharing with friends. Hugs, Jean.
ReplyDeleteIt must be nice for your mother to have stayed in her home.
ReplyDeleteThat is a pretty walk. The view is worth going up the hill!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful early morning walk in such a lovely neighborhood. :)
ReplyDeleteNice walk! Our plumeria are blooming too. That is definitely a hawk--we have a lot of them here. I'm inclined to think rats and mice are their major food source, and maybe baby possums. Are you going to the LA quilt show next weekend? It's at the port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. My sister and I are going on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for taking us along with you. We're enjoying ourselves immensely. The bird could be a hawk, if it's larger than a chicken (15 to 24 inches tall). If so, perhaps an immature Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk or Northern Goshawk....or some sort of kite or harrier, again, immature. It it was smaller than a chicken (10 to 14 inches), it might be an immature Merlin Falcon or Peregrine Falcon.....according to my field guide.
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely a raptor you saw....thinking it might be a sharp-shinned hawk. I love watching for the big birds high on trees or power lines early in the AM. Great photo!
ReplyDeleteTanya, I believe that bird sitting on the wire is a hawk. We have several in our neighborhood....but there is usually one sitting on a certain telephone pole down the road. He has the neighbor's hay field to look into for his lunch....field mice, squirrels, rabbits (smaller animals)...and they sit on the pole, tree, whatever, looking down into the field to make sure the animal is still alive, then dives for it....a couple of years ago, one of the hawks swooped down and snatched up my dtr's itty bitty kitty.....she was not happy.....hugs, Pat in IN
ReplyDelete