Friday, July 4, 2014

A visit to the vet

I had to take Choco and Vel in to the vet yesterday for shots and purchasing special dietary food and getting a supply of heart worm medicine.  Whew!  What a bill!

While we were there the vet noticed that Vel has hit his 16th year... and is going pretty strong still.  Vel came to my door nearly 16 years ago.  When I found him sleeping on my garden shoes trying to keep warm I crumpled and took him in.  He has lived a quiet life, for awhile set apart in my sewing room because he was being harassed and battered by Toi.  As Vel got older I decided he needed my love more than Toi and that is why Toi lives in the cat house and Vel gets the run of the house.  My sweet Vel.
Before I left the vets yesterday, he called us back into the examination room and presented me with a gold certificate...

Presented to Tanya Watanabe,
You have taken care of Velvet (age 16) for many long years as a partner and a family member and enabled him to give many people happiness. 
We respectfully recognize you for maintaining Velvet's good health and long life.. 
July 4, 2014 
Goto Aiken Hospital 
Dr. Masato Yabe

The doctor's wife and daughter (also veterinarians at the hospital) and the two nurses gave us a round of applause.  We were also given a picture frame as an award.

Many years ago our vet also did the same ceremony when we had Shoko, our previous dog who lived with us until she was 19.  So now I have matching picture frames.
Vel didn't much care about the presentation nor getting his picture taken.  He was just glad to get back home from the vet visit. 

10 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story Tanya! It is an honor to have fur children for so long, for them to let us be a part of their lives. I have had many of my kitties *find* me, such as Vel did you by sleeping on your shoes. He knew, cats always know when a cat lover is in the house! :D Ani in NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful! It is so wonderful to be appreciated, isn't it! This is a recognition that is unexpected but truly well deserved. Congratulations and thank you for this dear story about your veterinarian, Velvet, and you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting ... our vet in the last area was only interested in the paying of bills ... and pet bills are high. Nikko didn't even like to walk past that vet office. The vet where we are now is full of praise for Nikko and she pulls toward his door every time we try to pass. The personal touch means a lot even to animals. Vel will get his personal touch at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will occasionally see evidence of people's neglect or cruelty, but here is proof that YOU make a difference. Bravo, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a sweet thing that your vet does! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! you deserve it. I am sure that Vel ministers to you as you do to him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute kitty, so sweet you put him higher on the kitty rotation for his old age:)
    Our old dog (14) has early kidney disease and a trip to the vet for his food is close to $100. But he hasn't cost us too much otherwise over the years. Reminds me he needs his rabies shot this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! What a lovely thing for your vet and staff to do. Never heard of any vets doing that over here. You are a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Tanya,what an honor for you. There are soooo many people who do not care for their animals like you do...they are part of your family. And the vet bestowing the honor is something I've never heard of here in the states...now, our vet sends w/ the Rainbow Bridge poem on it, when a pet passes.....think I'll mention this to him and see what might come of it......big hugs, Pat in IN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful picture of you and Vel. Bless you both.

    Karen in New Jersey

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.