Tuesday, July 29, 2014

KaBloom flimsy

I have made visible progress on the McKenna quilt top! 
Everyday I make up a flower or two and then iron it down.  Everyday Grandma asks if I'm finished yet but I have to tell her that I've a long ways to go.  On this day I was working on the trellis and Grandma was helping me hold onto the pieces.
"I don't think I know what you are doing...  Can I throw these away?"

"No!!!"

When I'm ready to put the main piece aside it goes under the card table on the floor.  It goes without saying that there is no more room ON the card table nor on the coffee table nor on the desk (mother's papers from 40 years ago piled there) nor on the ironing board nor on the dining/scrap table (a finally finished jigsaw puzzle that yours truly finished up the first week she was here hoping I could take it down and clear some space...  "Oh!  The puzzle's done!  I need to start a new one!")

Under the card table is a fairly safe place.  The dogs carefully walk around my quilt top, humans glance down and admire it.  But Simba was visiting Grandma the other day and what does he do?
This is a cat who has never seen a quilt in his life yet, as do most cats, he gravitated to it and plopped himself down to test it's comfortableness.

"Excuse me.  I'd really appreciate you NOT adding any cat fur to my piece."
After Simba left I put the last remaining flowers on and even put in the borders.  A flimsy has been born!  Nice, nice.

And now for the machine quilting...  Can I do it?

13 comments:

  1. Absolutely you can, and lovely to see those hands holding the strips, and maybe feeling part of it all once again. You haven't mentioned the heat too much, maybe it is a little cooler this year. Cheers,Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with cats? Are the born with a quilt-finding instinct, do you think? (Lovely quilt!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that's beautiful! I know you can do it and I can't wait to see the finished quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Cats always know to perform quality control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful.
    Jean from Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! So, Simba is a garden variety cat ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous! And you'll have lovely memories of your Mum "helping"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful! Not being a quilter I don't understand how you make the pieces stay. With glue? Or flizelin? Anyway beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilt is so beautiful and so complicated!! It looks like a (fabric) painting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is spectacular and Simba looks really good on the quilt. It has been interesting to watch this quilt evolve and I cannot believe how beautiful it turned out. The quilting will only add to the beauty. You're very talented and patient!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.