I'm off in a few hours to go south and visit a high school friend for a couple of days. It is always a highlight of my California summer to stay a night in my friend Jane's elegant home. This year we will have a lot of chatting to do about an upcoming wedding in her family.
Marcy and Kiana and I went and got our toenails painted. Hmmm. It feels so nice to have clean, pretty toes... I dislike having to make those ladies do the dirty work and sit there at my feet as though we are back in the days of mistresses and handmaidens, but I must admit it is pleasant to have calluses banished and scratchy heels smooth again. Now with pretty grey sandals that Tetsu bought me for my birthday and a summer color, my bunioned feet don't look half bad!
I've added more elements to the Ka-Bloom quilt. A pathway shadow, a picket fence and the garden is starting to bloom with cosmos and sunflowers and snapdragons!
Daily I sit and cut out flower parts and daily, maybe 5 or 6 times a day my mother asks me what I'm making and why and how and if I'm finished yet. I could make a recording of my answers!
"I am making a fabric art quilt. Sort of like paint by numbers but with fabric. Some very nice person sent me the kit and I thought this would be a good summer to work on it. I trace the pattern onto transfer paper, iron it onto the corresponding fabric and then cut all these eensy-weensy pieces out and iron them together. I'm about two thirds finished and yes, it will all have to be sewn down in the end."
If only my mother was a blog reader she would have that information at her fingertips. By the way, after writing about the pieces curling and someone's comment that why didn't I just iron everything down as I went along, I thought
"Yeah. Why not? Even though the directions say do it at the end. It sure will make photographing this a lot easier!"
So now the pieces are down there for good! No changing!
Off to the freeways!
Lovely toes and sandals, and McKenna's garden, yes, iron as you go might be easier in summer heat .Enjoy your day, Jean.
ReplyDeleteOh my, looks like you are doing a fantastic job on the McKenna Ryan quilt...they are soooo beautiful, but I know better than to try to construct the kit I bought about a year ago......hugs, Pat in IN
ReplyDeleteSo pretty!
ReplyDeleteI was looking through a quilting magazine yesterday and saw an ad for that Ka-Bloom. My, but it does have a lot of pieces. I remember my SIL complaining that her mother kept asking the same questions over and over. She would get angry and shout,"I just told you that"!. I told her it would be much easier on both of them if she kept cool and just answered again. We did arrange for some day care so SIL could get away from time to time on her own.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very pretty fabric picture. We are loving watching you put it together, too. Actually, if you really MUST change something after it's ironed, it will lift and re-iron, with a little coaxing. So don't despair if a change must be made.
ReplyDelete