Sunday, July 13, 2014

Next post... California!

I'm off and away in a few hours.  Can't leave without some last minute sewing!

I put a transparent pocket on Tetsu's swim bag for his membership card.  He is always wishing there was a pocket on his bag...  and the last time I went to the States he ended up quitting going to the pool the month I was gone.  Hopefully my last act of sewing before summer will remind him to go to the pool daily.

I also put in a few minutes on a fabric card for my mother.  I know I will be seeing her in half a day but everyone likes to receive mail!  And besides, I was inspired greatly when I went to patchwork on Friday by one of Mrs. S creations.
What do you think these are?   And how do you think they were made?

Mrs. S does felting and she came across this great idea for making felt circles.  She made a "sausage" of colored wool and then kept adding more colorful wool and felting it until she had gotten to the size she liked.  This is where the tricky part comes in.  She partially FROZE her felt sausage and then cut it with her kitchen knife!  Perfect circles!
I asked for two circles (I don't know how she is planning to use the rest) and made a fabric owl for my mother.
It is pretty 3-D with an extra leaf glued on there too.  It will be winging its way (in an envelope) as I fly across the Pacific myself.
And yesterday we went and visited Tetsu's mother before I left and I convinced her to let me take a picture to show Takumi.

See you in America!

14 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful visit with your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe trip and wonderful family time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a nice photo of you and your mother in law - have a blast visiting your family in California!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon Voyage, Tanya. I hope all goes well on your journey and that all will be well at home in your absence. Regards, Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful MIL you have! And the felt circles are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felt circles, an owl, a plane trip, but best of all, Tetsu's mother, a charming lady, gracious and a photo to share with Takumi and us all, thanks so very much. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a wonderful card for your mum, and a great pic of you and Tetsu's mum! Praying you have a safe trip, Tanya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mother-in-law is lovely! And so are those owls - Mrs. S. is a creative genius.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Safe journey, Tanya.
    Your mother-in-law looks lovely in your latest photo.
    Best regards from Gail in Still Sunny Washington State

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful picture of your MIL, her skin is so pretty :) and a super smile, she looks like she is doing very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a good flight. Love the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a nice photo of the two of you! Have a nice trip and enjoy the time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sent a comment...did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH MY, I don't think my postcards will ever be as elaborate as yours.......and you have your quilting friends to inspire you....and I'm going to our local quilt guild next week to DEMONSTRATE the making of the cards...American-style, I think.....but I may take pictures of yours and take them along.....I'm gathering things to send you....and will send ALL to Japan, as you don't need extra stuff to haul back when you go home.......love and hugs to your family in US...Pat in IN

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.