Saturday, July 5, 2014

Nature walk

Although this is not really news, every morning Choco and I go for a walk around the countryside and I take photos of not too interesting things.  On one of our farther jaunts I came across this decrepit sign and thought that at a glance you could see the type of area that I live in.
The map is called a Nature map and has very kindly marked my house with the flying bird there right in the center of the map.  And though the farming road isn't marked, normally Choco and I walk around in the little triangular beige area over to the river and back.  That's all good for about a 20 minute walk.

If I go east (the bird will have to fly backwards) I can get to the school where I do crosswalk duty every morning and where the school has a rice field.
 
South of the school is where Tetsu and I took a hike where the 88 statues on the mountain behind the temple.   On this map that is depicted by the you can see the little man with a walking stick and a straw hat.
Quite often Choco and I will walk to the dairy farm shown by the cow there in the center.  (That's where we were this morning.)  Oops... That's not a dairy cow... but there is another farm down the road with more cows.

Going down to the school, then north on the road marked in red, and then back to the bird takes us about an hour.
To the north, there is a temple and the wisteria tree depicted and just to the west of that (and a bit to the east) is the famous cedar grove which is the longest in Japan.
This is actually just a small foot path behind the cedar grove where the trees are huge. The tourist buses slow down along the Nikko Sugninamiki (Nikko Cedar Grove) so that tourists can ooh and ahh.
Down at the southeast corner is apple country where I don't really walk to but some of the school children have to walk from there daily to the school.

Hope you enjoyed the tour... illustrated by different photos throughout the year.
 

6 comments:

  1. I really ended the tour around your home, very beautiful - especially the cedar grove. No wonder the tourist ooh and aah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tanya, that was really interesting, gives a clearer picture of where you live. But your photos are what brings it to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikko is a beautiful place. I wonder if our dog, Nikko, would remember any of that area. She does get excited when we go through the area where we lived earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a nice place here at home to walk and not have to drive 12 miles to get to a place I can walk at. If I walk here it is on the highway with trucks and other vehicles driving quickly by - we have no large side of the road to walk on - what you have seems to be very nice to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that your house is marked on the map! I enjoyed the tour too. It has been years since I took a nature walk (besides the beach,lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a nice map of your neighborhood. Easy to read and follow. Your pictures are the best though. What kind of apples are the red ones in your picture? Do you know? They are so bright and red!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.