Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Miscellaneous pictures, miscellaneous days

I seem to have difficulty writing a post with any rhyme or rhythm.  My routines have changed from what they are in Japan (now there are no routines) and I guess there is not a lot of structure in my life.  I jump around from one activity to the next, ten minutes here, ten minutes there.  Even blogging seems to change during the summer.  One big random activity!

Let's see...  What's left over in my photo files?
What is this?  For years (like 45) there was a tree behind my mother's casita, but it was threatening to fall down so sometime this past year the family had the tree trimmers take the whole tree away.  Well, a branch had grown right around a telephone pole cable (to keep the telephone pole upright I think) and rather than have to call the telephone company people out, the trimmers just cut around the cable. 
Occasionally on my morning walks, these dogs will spot me from afar and yap-yap-yap at me as I walk down the whole street (and their yapping alerts other dogs in the neighborhood who take up the call and meet me as I turn a corner.)  The dogs jump off of the second floor balcony onto the overhead sundeck roof and they have a fantastic view of the hills and street and walkers like me.
"Why are you taking a picture of the paper towel roll?"

My brother shakes his head at me as if he thinks I've lost my mind.  Well, American paper towels have such nice designs on them.  I wonder if I can incorporate that pattern into a quilt someday...
Here is Simba with his toy mouse.  He is a Catador Retriever and he can play a retrieving game as long as any human will throw the mouse.
Not to do for Maxie though...  By the way, all of the pictures I take of Maxie have to be done on the sly.  I sit as still as a statue (and she won't come closer than 10 feet away) and then I slide my camera along a table or in this case, to the end of my knee and then without looking at her or through the camera, I snap the shot.  Some come out, some don't.
Why a picture of feet?  This picture makes me laugh...  So typical of California life.  We all run around barefooted.  From house to house that is no problem but when taking the garbage out to the end of the hill, ouch... ooh... hot!  Still, bare feet are the norm for us.  I notice Takumi even slips off his flip-flops when he drives.  This picture might surprise my Japanese friends because ONE ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT GO OUTSIDE WITH BARE FEET IN JAPAN!!!  Of course we are barefooted after we take our shoes off at the front door but outside?  Outside lurks parasites and germs and dirt and all sorts of deadly things that Japanese don't want brought into their homes.  I am often asked how Westerners can bear to have dirty shoes that have been walking around outside, traipsing all over the carpets and floors in a Western house. ...Well... Doesn't everyone vacuum daily?  Anyway, playing outside in bare feet is a big no-no in Japan.
And here is Grandma with a heavy winter sweater on and a fleece blanket.  The rest of Southern California is hoping that the heat wave will end soon but not Grandma.  We are trying to keep Grandma settled with her feet up because her legs are so swollen... probably from the heat... so she is content to sit and read and stay cozy.  The rest of us sweat just looking at her!

"Grandma, Grandma.  Your thermostat is really discombobulated."

7 comments:

  1. What a great collection of pictures with explanations, too. :) I LOVE that catador retriever! We now have a new puppy in the house (Labrador Retriever, of course) AND a new cat! The new pup (#3 Lab living here) is mine. Our granddaughter has moved in with us so she can attend Xavier University (across the street) and brought her cat. We now have 16 paws and only 8 feet in the house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are having a great time, barefeet and all. And Grandma, she is smiling and looks so comfy. Cheers,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those pictures! I grew up going barefoot everywhere except church and school. (It saved on shoes ... and since I ran everywhere, I went through shoes faster than anyone in my family ... and they were rationed during the war ... I was guilty of using up too many shoe coupons, so NO SHOES for me!) Of course shoes protect you from things like thorns and glass and broken toes so now it is a trade-off. Once we hired a dog sitter and that person washed off our dogs feet upon returning from each walk. I'd like to see hom try that with Nikko. NO WAY her feet get touched other than a "high five"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had to tell you I enjoy your posts so much! check on you every day. I think
    these random posts are my favorite. You have a real gift at photography and
    writing. Thanks for sharing! Dawn in Utah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being all willy nilly with our time is usually how vacations go, getting lost in the day with new and different things to do and see. Maybe that's why I like to come home so much to get some structure!!

    Lovely pictures. Makes me smile. Barefoot is the best and now my doctor is telling me to wear shoes all the time as my feet are "falling", the arches that is.

    Enjoy, soon your vacation will be over

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a cable with a tree section near me, too. Always makes me smile. Yep, bare feet all summer has been the norm! Cute cat pics:). Glad Grandma is handling the seasons her way!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.