Friday, March 20, 2020

Sigh

My dress is finished. 
Just in time for...  a wedding delay...
 
Julieta called me this morning and as you can imagine she was in a sad mood.  It has become inevitable that the May wedding plans have to be put on hold, though she and Takumi and her mother will make the final decision this weekend.  She just wanted to let me know that she didn't think it was going to be possible to continue any longer as planned.

Of course this is not a surprise.  It was rather, who was going to make the decision.  The governments?  The airlines?  Tetsu and me?  Takumi and Julieta?

I had already been considering what arrangements needed to be made for our animals in the event that we'd have to leave Japan suddenly and possibly not get back to Japan for months (if travel bans were begun while we were away).  My cat sitters promised to do whatever they could.  The vet promised to take John on a moment's notice.  Tetsu was urging me to go to the States alone as with US citizenship I could probably get into the country more easily, but I wasn't happy with that idea because if we were going to miss this wedding, I thought we should miss it together.  It would be too sad to leave Tetsu alone in Japan while the rest of us went to a wedding.  But there were the questions of airline cancellations, the problem of travel insurance during these times, family from other parts of the States trying to get to California and then Mexico...  It just seemed that the problems were piling up.

I think yesterday California was put on emergency status and it is no longer really possible for ANYONE to be flying to Mexico.  I suggested a small wedding in someone's backyard without Tetsu and me but Julieta said that groups of more than 10 people weren't being allowed and she didn't want her elderly relatives even trying to gather in small groups.  She was just too flustered to think things through this morning.  Maybe try for a December wedding?

I commiserated with her as well as I was able.  I suggested they go ahead and get married in the court and have their ceremony and reception NEXT year in May as a celebration of one year of marriage.  (I would never believe I actually suggested a court wedding as I've always believed the religious ceremony is the "real" wedding.)  I don't know what Takumi and Julieta are going to do...  And I feel very bad for Julieta.

But so far all of us are still healthy and that is something to be happy about.  Now to focus on STAYING healthy.  All of us!

So, yesterday I put the final stitches on the dress I had been making.  Mrs. Waki had been concerned too with getting this dress done in time in case I needed to fly away suddenly and she worked hard to get everything basted and ready for me to just do the final hem stitching.  She is such a professional!

As I worked, I noticed all the details that she put into this dress...
The basting along the inside of the hem slit...  She taught me how to do "star" stitching to tack down the lining so it doesn't fly away from the hem.  The "star" stitching are the little dots along the lining.  I removed the longer basting stitches from the lining and from the dress after I finished sewing the star stitching.
And inside the hem, in two or three places, I found this "string" of crocheted cording that Mrs. Waki made and sewed onto the seamline, also to keep the lining from riding up when putting on the dress.

But now my beautiful dress will be put away for a few months until the world heals itself and we can plan celebrations again. 

I have such mixed emotions today.  So sad that this happy occasion is on hold.  So happy that my children have found wonderful spouses to share trials and joys with.  Our love is not hindered by crisis.

18 comments:

  1. Oh Tanya, how sad, your dress is beautiful and yes, you will be able to wear it at a later date. Thinking of you all at this horrible time. Their love for each other will get them through the postponement of their wedding. Something to look forward to later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that the wedding will have to postponed. I suppose a lot of people are postponing their weddings as well. There have been couples doing that here in OZ too. Poor Julietta and Takumi. We all just have to stay well during this world wide crisis and keep on praying for an end to the Corona virus. Your dress looks lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel saddened for everyone. This virus has caused so much heartbreak and despair. I know they will make the right decision for them and everyone. Please just stay safe!.

    P.S> Your dress is lovely and I'm sure in time you will be able to wear it at such a joyous event!

    Karen in New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I send hugs, love and prayers. The world (and this pandemic) is so scary right now. We must hold tight to our faith and the knowledge that our Father will guide us through this.

    With love,
    Helen from Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya..I have been following your blog for about a year, I think. So sorry to hear about the wedding plans having to be delayed. Your dress is beautiful. I am wondering if you could share what you have done to stay healthy thru this virus crisis. Is there anything special you can tell us. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio and am pretty much staying home. I do have a couple of things being taken care of about the house, so there is an occasional delivery man coming. For the most part they are outside or in the garage. Are you hand washing and using sanitizer? Do you wipe down the surfaces in your house frequently? Maintain social distancing? ANy tips you could add would be very much appreciated. Thank you! Jaqui

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry they have to postpone the wedding. What a disappointment for all of you! Praying for better times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is beautiful. It would be fun to take a class from Mrs Waki and learn all her skills. I was wondering if the wedding would be delayed. I can only imagine how disappointed Julieta is at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for the wedding to be postponed......and the hurt your future DIL must be feeling. I think your 'court' wedding is a good idea and have a church wedding or celebration later. Someone posted that our 'normal' will likely change when all is over. We don't know the future but God is in control. Blessings be on all of us as we go through this new experience together. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about the wedding. My nephew was supposed to be married next weekend. We cancelled, then they un-invited all out of town guests (like us) to bring the guest list down to 50. Now it has to be down to 10 or less, and they are going to be married tomorrow, in her uncles back yard. Our niece is still scheduled to be married in May. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dress is beautiful. So sad that the wedding plans are up in the air. It is a very hard time but I am happy you are all healthy and pray you stay that way. We are praying for the same here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it's so disappointing. The virus is disrupting so much. I like your idea of going ahead with a small wedding, and then celebrating later. Travel right now is so fraught with uncertainty and risk. Keep your beautiful dress close and look at it often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress is fantastic.
    I think that in few months all will be right again. ANDRA' TUTTO BENE.
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is beyond beautiful! Your story is compelling! I have been thinking about young ones getting married because my son is pretty serious with a girl. It is a hard time to start a marriage, but life must continue on.

    I was so pleased to her that you are safe and healthy in Japan. It is comforting to hear people around the world who are staying away from the virus.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, that is so gorgeous. It's very sad about the wedding. The important thing is your son and DIL-to-be are taking care of themselves. May you and your family all stay healthy. I look forward to the day you wear that dress for the celebration, and we all get to see the photos! Andrea in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are together, and a decision will be made that ensures the safety of everyone. A beautiful dress, that you can admire every day, knowing the love it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for your family plans. What was to be a glorious reunion for all. Stay well, keep occupied. Please keep writing, for all of us readers. We're in this together, it seems.

    Postscript: What a dress!!!! Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is hard to know what will be going on next week, let alone a month away. A choir wedding was pushed back a whole month because of the typhoon and a memorial service for a choir member earlier in the month had few in attendance other than the choir, pastor, and family members.
    Your dress turned out lovely. I'm sure it will be waiting for its day in the sun, but I'm so sorry for Julieta and Takumi having their plans messed up. My summer plans are all up in the air as well and arranging for plant and pet care is not something done overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sending love and praying Godn in his Wisdom, will guide you all to the best choices for this odd time. Your dress is lovely thanks for sharing it with us. Life all around the world is unlike any of us ever imagined. I know God is in control.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.