Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Foggy in the head

I have to apologize to some people this morning.

Almost every morning I set my phone alarm to wake me up at 5:45.  In this season, it is still darkish outside and I, of course, am half asleep.

I reach over and turn off my iPhone.  With one eye open (this is the problem!) I check if anyone has texted me since I went to bed...  I go to bed pretty early and Marlene's texts arrive after I'm asleep and of course communication between Takumi or Leiya or Julieta or Tony comes into my cell phone in the night just because of the time difference.

After that I may check emails... still half asleep and then I often check my blog to see if there have been comments.
A few years ago I went to comment moderation and this means comments come into the blogger page and I check them for spam and then press the publish button.

This morning I went to press the publish comments button and my finger slipped (I was still under the blankets and peering one-eye-open at the phone) and I pushed the delete button!!!  Gone went the four comments that had come in during the night!
Over the years, I have done this same thing two or three times before...  You'd think I'd learn.

My peeve with Blogger is that they shouldn't put that delete button right next to the publish button!!!  And they should figure out someway to retrieve the comments in moderation mode...  As far as I know, and I've gone looking, there is no way to retrieve lost comments once they've been deleted in moderation.  If anyone knows a way, please let me know!!!
Of course the stupidity is my own.  I shouldn't be pushing buttons in a prone position in the dark on a small iPhone screen when I'm half asleep.  But I did and yesterday's four comments are gone.

To whomever commented yesterday.  I'm sorry, but I didn't read your comment and if you want to go to the trouble to try again, please do.  I will refrain from doing comment moderation in the early hours of the morning from now on...
My apologies.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that so often those buttons are too close ... not just blogger, but other areas too.
    We all have days like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come close to accidentally pressing "delete" instead of "publish" sometimes. I think there should be a second step - asking before deleting.

    I absolutely love foggy conditions. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't comment yesterday. Just wanted to say that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Accidents happens. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanya, Have to ask if people are going to the market and buying up paper goods, sanitizer, and other goods in Japan because of the corona virus? Went shopping Wednesday (So. Calif.) and very little on shelf as far as toilet paper, paper towels, sanitizers, and prepackaged baking goods. I'm always stocked up in preparation for an earthquake so maybe this will get everyone prepared. My thinking on this virus is wash hands regularly, avoid crowds, eat healthy, drink plenty of water and enjoy life. What does it look like in your part of the world? Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  5. These foggy pictures are so beautiful. I don't have to be half asleep to make mistakes like that, and I probably wouldn't even figure out that I did that.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.