Sewing!
Last week Mrs. Waki had cut out the kimono pieces for my dress and designed a placement so that the embroidery flowed across the bottom. She also sewed the center seam joining the embroidery perfectly and then offset the seam bringing the embroidery more to the center (and removing the need to cut away part of the embroidery.) She then marked the pieces with basting threads and stabilized the shoulders with cloth tape. I came along later and basted the shoulders to each other and also the center back seam. That was all. In short, Mrs. Waki did all the work.
This week I come to Mrs. Waki's house and found that she had cut and sewn the lining for this dress, also made from the original kimono lining, and again had thread marked all the seams for me to mark for sewing.
She also made a gorgeous interfacing from the kimono silk for the neckline and stabilized it all again. I was so floored at just the lining neckline! Aren't the curves for the back just beautiful!? And that won't even be seen!
This time I had brought my sewing machine and set it up on a table at the side of Mrs. Waki's room. She checked stitch length and tension (very important) and she pencil marked her thread marks for me so that it would be easier for me to sew straight... And I learned that sewing on slippery silk is different from cotton patchwork sewing!
Mrs. Waki pencil marking seam lines for me. I wanted to show in this photo how the basting threads are used to mark seam lines... Is this how all seamstresses do it? I don't know if it is just the Japanese way or that this is how anyone who sews makes markings... Anyway, the corresponding sides of a garment piece are basted together with two strands of basting thread and then the threads are cut leaving the ends on both pieces... These can be followed when sewing by machine or by hand and in my case, because the fabric was so slippery Mrs. Waki had me follow her pencil markings and baste the pieces again. You can see what care she is taking with this dress of mine. I'm sure I would have laid out fabric, cut pieces, and haphazardly sewed them together with a lot of pins.... Or at my worst, just eye-balled it...
I was also surprised by the care Mrs. Waki took with the ironing of each and every seam. Iron the seams open. By finger, dampen the seam with water (heaven forbid steam or spray!) and iron it with pressure to set the seam. Iron the fabric to the correct side, press iron again. I also want you to notice this beautiful design on the cream fabric. Isn't that beautiful!? Again, Mrs. Waki matched it perfectly on the front center seam going down the full dress... She is amazing.
At each step of sewing, the small basting threads (and in this "Japanese" method, there were so many tiny threads!) had to be removed and Mrs. Waki and I worked with tweezers to remove all the colored basting threads.
I certainly didn't work as fast as I'd hoped nor as fast as Mrs. Waki had assumed we'd progress, and I only got the neckline dress and lining sewn together and one arm. The side seams are still undone but we could place the dress on Mrs. Waki's dress dummy. This is how the front is going to look. Simple but elegant!
And this is the back where a hook will be placed at the neck.
Looking good! I sure hope I can match the elegance of this dress by my comportment and demeanor! I've never worn anything so dressy in my life! (And the plan is that this will go to Leiya after the wedding in hopes that she will have more of a chance to wear it to elegant parties than I ever will again...)
Friday I have another sewing session scheduled!
That dress is lovely, even though it isn't finished. And...YOU will see that neckline inside the dress.
ReplyDeleteOh, it is just beautiful!
ReplyDeleteTanya it is simply beautiful - you have a true master seamstress/artist helping you! How exciting! I have never made any garment!
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful! It is so interesting to see how it is coming together.
ReplyDeleteWow! This is going to be a gorgeous dress! Can't wait to see you wearing it!
ReplyDeleteSo impressed! This dress is SO beautiful! Looking forward to pictures of you at the wedding.
ReplyDeleteThe basting part is so important, especially with silk as it tend to slide while sewing it. It seems to take more time but in the end saves a ton of time! You have a great dressmaker there.
Simply stunning! Gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteIt is so interesting seeing the process pictures! You will honor the dress design as much as it honors you. :) So elegant
ReplyDeleteThe dress is gorgeous. I enlarged each picture to see the true beauty. You will be the belle of the ball.
ReplyDeleteJean from Memphis
What wonderful friends you have. The dress looks exquisite.
ReplyDeleteAndrea in Minnesota, long-time follower
What a dress! You are going to feel like a queen wearing that and of course you are the Queen mother of the groom. Very interesting to see how this is coming together and how beautiful the dress is.
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful! You are getting a bespoke treasure!
ReplyDeleteI sew garments and bags (when I have the time) - but not with this level of detail and basting and all. Pins, yes, and care in the stitching, not much hand-sewing and basting - but also I tend towards making things for everyday usage. Shirts and tops for myself (in large part to get the length and (closer to) the fit that I want; bags because I like making (and using!) bags, pants for my younger son (very slender with loonnngggg legs...), and a bit of costuming for my chorus. So "practical" sturdy fabrics for the most part, cottons and some linen blends, denims, twills...and not so much of the slippery more delicate fabrics.
--Jean Marie
This is the most beautiful dress I've seen made!!!! Workmanship is tops! And the kimono fabric is beautiful...you will be dazzling!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful!!! So elegant...workmanship is outstanding!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, so beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteI have several dresses made from Kimono fabric from years ago when I had to attend formal office functions with my husband's company. I'm glad I didn't have to sew them but it was a lot better than wearing kimono back in those days. Norie wore one of them to Leia's shichi-go-san shrine visit. The quilting group is using kimono fabrics and it is a real challenge to sew ... even by hand and basting first.
ReplyDeleteOH!! I love your beautiful kimono dress thus far Tanya! It is amazing! I have sewn clothing for myself for 40+ years and yes, there is always much hand basting and ironing - it is the correct way to make clothing that is meant to last and look good when worn. You are so lucky to have your seamstress friend assisting! You will feel quite regal wearing this special dress! Hugs from NC, KittyAnn
ReplyDelete