Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Birds!

Last week after visiting Mrs. Waki to sew, I came home to work on a small picture quilt for her from my McKenna patterns.
The original pattern had a blue bird but because of Mrs. Waki's love of the sparrows in her neighborhood, I used my brown fabrics to make my own interpretation of a brown sparrow.  Mrs. Waki seemed pleased by my small gift.

And can you guess what this is?  I came home from the grocery store today to find this in our backyard.  If you can't tell, it is supposed to be a bird feeder. 

I had raved about Mrs. Waki's bird feeder and how all the neighborhood sparrows gather in her garden every evening and Tetsu took my envy to heart and built us a bird feeder.  Hmmm.  It is a little high... I have to step up on a tree trunk to reach it.   Tetsu dragged a log from the cut-down forest behind us, added boards and and a sloped roof, a bit of grass and a flowerpot.   We now have a cozy place for OUR neighborhood birds.  Do you think they will find their new feeding spot?

Tetsu thinks they will because he had taken a small packet of rice crackers outside to munch on while he worked and he said a crow came and carried it away!  Well, I was hoping we were going to attract sparrows, not crows!  Tetsu will buy us some bird feed tomorrow and we'll see if we get any visitors to our new bird feeder.

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely project..... when my neighbor started feeding wild cats the birds quit using my bird houses and feeders..... I have tried new bird seed this spring ..... hoping for some birds for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tanya,

    You and Tetsu have such wonderfully kind hearts. Your neighborhood birds will love the birdfeeder that he so lovingly made. Your quilt is just beautiful. You both make the world a better place.

    With love,
    Helen, from Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! You'll have fun with your new feeder, and the cats will enjoy watching out the window (hope they can see it). We love feeding the birds and squirrels and have 5 feeders in our yard. Unfortunately, the dropped seed does attract raccoons and opossums at night, but what can you do? They eat and move on. Lately, a family of 5 crows has been hanging around. I've gotten them to the point where they recognize me and know that when I go out on the deck, they're going to eat. They'll come down onto the deck for the nuts I throw and get within a few feet of me. They sit on the railing and bob heads and whistle at me. I take that as a compliment. They've left me two presents on the railing so far - a piece of white plastic and a big beak full of mulch from someone's yard. I watched them bring the mulch and leave it there. Birds are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly hope you attract other birds than the crows! Nice design.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. McKenna. her patterns are always stunning, love the wee bird.And the feeder, what an innovative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your little gift is so cute, and personal. And I love your bird feeder! Rustic and unique looking! Darn crows though. Hope that was just a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt and the feeder!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My bird feeder is a window cafe stuck to my window with suction cups. I swear the birds are watching as I fill it and it empties in no time ... but I can enjoy the tits and sparrows from my sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like Tetsu's bird feeder. Please tell him I may copy his design.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.