I followed the pattern almost exactly. Piano Key border.
There is no place to spread this quilt out in any room in my house and so I draped the finished flimsy over the sewing table and chair.
The quilt is called Raise the Roof and it was in the Miss Rosie's Spice of Life Quilts book.
I had a little bit of trouble figuring out how to make this quilt from just scraps as the instructions were given to ...cut so many strips from width of fabric from each of 11 fabrics... etc. I had to break it all down into how many lengths each of 1 1/2 inch strips etc. But once I'd made the notations in the book the quilt got on fairly easily (though I still seem to have more strips and squares left over... My poor counting abilities at fault...)
This book has given me two or three nice quilt patterns that I've been very pleased with. I wonder if there is another one that I can convert to purely scrap usage...
The rest of yesterday I spent basting the Over and Under quilt that has been up on my wall for a month. It won't get quilted up there! One major drawback to social distancing is that I have to baste my quilts by myself and no space to do that either! Usually I ask my quilting friends at Mrs. Furui's to help with this boring job and we get it done with many hands. Alone I am board-basting this (still not done) and then I'll start machine quilting it. I think I'm just going to go for stitch-in-the-ditch as I'd really like to fluff up the strips rather than pack them down with quilting...
You are making great progress on your projects. The Raise the Roof will be a stunning quilt, wherever you drape it.
ReplyDeleteIs the over and under quilt made from scraps of wool? Or is it cotton with a tweed print?
Queenie
Your quilt top looks gorgeous. I have that book I just may have to try that pattern. Thanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteThat version of log cabin blocks just calls out to me and I have made some sketches in my notebook for future use. I really love it!
ReplyDeleteLovely top; you're treating us to some very pretty, scrappy quilts today, thank you! We can use some color and cheer right now. :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful quilt. Someone will be so fortunate to receive this.
ReplyDeleteJean in Memphis
It is a beautiful quilt! Maybe you can ask Tetsu and John to help you baste!
ReplyDeleteYour log cabin top is stunning and I think your quilting plan sounds perfect for it. Oh, I know, basting. Looking back over the years, I had some good times with friends helping each other baste. But in recent years, even before COVID 19, Netflix has been my basting buddy;).
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for doing this post!! I went out looking for the book but it's about $40.00 so then I looked for just the pattern and that was sold out. I'm going to keep looking for it and I hope one of my Quilt Guild friends will have the book or pattern. I just love this quilt!!!
ReplyDeleteOkay it's me again! My friend thinks she can draw the pattern since we haven't been able to find it. What is the size of the blocks and are they all the same or do you have some that have to be sewn to make the larger block? I'm sorry to bother you but we are all at home and so we are doing crazy things like this! LOL
ReplyDelete