Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Two Projects

I have finished up the border stitching on the Fruitti Tutti quilt.  It was an easy choice of pattern with all those loops already in the circles.  More loops in the border!
"Binding... binding...  I have a lot of leftover binding stuffed in a drawer someplace.  I could sew those all together."

But pulling out all the scraps of binding I found a roll that I'd previously made!  When did I do that?

The other day I was commenting to my blog friend Mary, how I so admired the way she was organized about her binding... pre-cutting from fabrics used in her quilts and then storing them in freezer bags.  She showed a whole stock of bindings ready to be used!

"I'm going to do that!  I'm going to make my bindings ahead of time and have them at my fingertips when I get a quilt made!"

Well....  I guess I already had.  And forgot.  Does that mean I'm organized or unorganized?
This is the fabric from the Pine Burr quilt and the roll was the pre-cut binding I'd readied.  I'd completely forgotten about it and when it came to making the Pine Burr binding I still had this yellow polka-dot fabric and made another roll of binding.  My only excuse is that that Pine Burr has been a long time in the making (though the making of the lattice and border hasn't had THAT much history).

So, the Pine Burr was done and the Fruitti Tutti was ready for binding and I had this roll (and more yellow fabric if that wasn't enough).  I decided I LIKED the idea of using the yellow binding because I've decided to give this quilt to whichever child doesn't get the Pine Burr.  (Let the two of them fight it out.)  Some of the fabrics in this quilt have been used in the other quilt, the binding can be the "bond" between the two quilts for the two siblings.

That's what I'm doing today... sewing down the binding.
And on the applique front, here is the progress report on that.  I have 20 squares appliqued down on that background fabric.  I'll show this again every time I get another 20 squares appliqued.

6 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to open a drawer/box/bag and find something ready to be used, isn't it? I have bias tape wound round old cardboard tubes for kitchen paper towels. Seeing your picture I guess I could skip the tubes and just make a roll of tape! It would save some space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, your binding is already made so you're ahead of the game ... I only cut mine. I've got one bound and two to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am smiling about the binding story... and wishing I had some hidden stash to chose from. Unfortunately all I have is filed in one drawer of my sewing box and none is long enough to fill a whole quilt border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what was the purpose of your grid on the applique quilt on Monday's post. Will it be a small quilt? I like this applique quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding something prepared and then forgotten is SO much happier than when I am convinced I had prepared something... then find I had done it only n my mind. (R in 神奈川県)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I could find a roll of binding, lol - love your quilting on that quilt! And I adore your flowers on your applique!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.