Monday, May 11, 2015

The Fruitti Tutti Finshed!

Between weekend outings and rainy weather, I didn't get the Fruitti Tutti quilt photographed.  The forecast for tonight is for typhoon and heavy rains so if I didn't get out to take some pictures this morning, it was going to end up being an inside shoot (and no space to spread out a quilt to photograph.)
 Over my favorite tree branch at the edge of a rice field.

The pattern is from the book Miss Rosie's Spice of Life Quilts and it was originally called Going Buggy.  I'm not quite sure whether Fruitti Tuitti describes this quilt better than Going Buggy.  The pattern caught my eye with all the pretty curves and secondary pattern and then after reading the instructions, it seemed like a real challenge was waving a flag at me.

"Just TRY and make me!  I dare you!"
The arc blocks were made by machine appliqueing circles, (NOT raw edge by the way!) cutting away the backing, using the cut away part to make more applique circles which when appliqued to a complimentary block made the block a bull's eye.  And those were all cut into quarters and reassembled with the four patch blocks.  WHEW!

I went my own way completely on the quilting and really changed the flavor of the quilt.  Whereas the book's quilter machine quilted gentle curves within only the arc blocks, I got carried away and quilted in loops even in the four patch blocks to make a full circle.  In the photos the circles don't seem so prominent but in "person" the eye gets drawn to the loopy circles.
You would think that this quilt would have depleted my scrap bin but it hardly made a dent.  Still it is nice to think that some of that stuffed away fabric was transformed into something pretty.
The quilt is a 74 1/2 inch by 74 1/2 inch square but that was large enough to make the machine quilting too difficult for my domestic machine.  In the end I constructed  the quilt in two parts, machine quilted both parts and then sewed them together.  The backing is busy enough that the hand turned seam hardly shows.
My background of fields and hot houses make this quilt look like it would make a perfect fit in a country style home.  It will eventually go to one of my kids to blend in with their electric guitars or running shoes.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that is huge, and what settings for your photo shoot. Super designs with the quiltings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another awesome quilt finish that is absolutely lovely.

    Joanne in PA

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely quilt! I have enjoyed seeing it take shape on your blog. It started out completely different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have taken notes and think it might be a good way to get rid of more of my one-inch squares. I certainly love your finish. No hanging anything out in Tokyo today ... the wind is way too blustery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "TUTTI FRUTTI" quilt is amazing and so joyful ! I LOVE scrappy quilts. Well done Tanya :))

    XOXOXOXO
    NADINE

    ReplyDelete
  6. the quilt is beautiful........congrats on your finish........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tutti-frutti quilt is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pattern and scrap user--though it seems scraps continuously multiply! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Tanya this is splendid - great photoshoot too, btw. I LOVE this quilt. You could not have made it look this good without scraps, that's for sure! The quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt is incredible. I love the quilting and am in awe of your skill. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful presentation of a specially wonderful quilt. Apt for being published in a magazine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful stunning quilt with such an intricate quilting design. It turned out so beautiful with wonderful warm colors! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my ..... beautiful and I love your machine quilting!!!

    On another note, have you ever printed your blog into a book? I'm thinking of having this done and just wondered if you have done so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a beautiful quilt! you should be very proud of it.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.