In the morning I got out the pattern that a blog friend had sent and I traced the pattern onto Heat and Bond paper. From there I went through my stash and picked out fabrics. This is the first time I've used my own fabrics with McKenna. I have been blessed to be gifted with some of her kits and I've made quite a few of those with her gorgeous fabric choices. I KNOW that if I can make a quilt with one of her kits then all I have to do is the same process with my own fabrics... but still...
"Do I have the right green? Will the purple be too strong?"
After lunch I started fusing and cutting out and laying on of pieces. And in the evening I put on the border... which was entirely a different flavor of fabric from the sample photo but still it worked out nicely.
I'm not bragging here, but I think people who are hesitant to do McKenna patterns should note that this took ONE DAY from opening the package to getting it up on the design wall for photographing. That's not bad and though I wouldn't claim the patterns are simple, they are definitely doable.
If I can find any more green batik in my stash I may do this pattern again... I think my brother would like it and wouldn't he be surprised to get a quilt (albeit small) from me.
Tanya, that is lookig so good! I have never had the opportunity to use a mckenna ryan kit - and I do love choosing from my fabrics rather than following what she has chosen - but I agree it can be quite challenging at times.
ReplyDeleteChookyblue sent me to your blog because of your mckenna ryan projects, so its good to see another one.
Wow, in a day. I will wait for you own version, and am sure you will do another as well,
ReplyDeleteYou've made a beautiful quilt!
ReplyDeleteIt is very, very pretty, Tanya.
ReplyDeleteThat is lovely! You did a great job choosing the fabrics, look forward to seeing it finished!
ReplyDeleteI love this. I have one of her kits (from the old coffee line) that I haven't done yet. I love her designs but I have felt intimidated by them. You've inspired me...thank you!
ReplyDeleteWow, awesome, you did a great job !! Your material looks like it was made for pattern.
ReplyDeleteI think after doing the kits, you have got the rhythm and understanding of the fabrics she picks.
ReplyDeleteOne day!!! That is amazing. Really beautiful, too!
ReplyDelete