Thursday, April 21, 2016

Trying something new

Thank you for all your kind words yesterday.  It means a lot to me that so many people know of Vel and how he played an important part in our lives.  That's quite a lot to say for a once stray kitty that never wandered more than a few yards after he became part of the family.  I will give the left over love I poured on him to all of my other animal family members (well, I suppose the human ones too....)
*****
One of the many conversations that I had with Takumi and Leiya while I was in the States was whether or not I was going to join the Smart Phone world.  (I can just see Julie cringe at those words).  My children are of the opinion that as we are spread out internationally, not to mention that Grandma's situation changes daily, that I should have a Smart Phone.  Why am I limiting myself just because I feel I am getting older and can't learn new things.  That's all the more reason to try something new!  

I go back and forth... Is it worth the cost?  Am I up for the challenge?  Will I use it any more than I use a computer or an iPad that we have already?  I think towards the end my kids were feeling that I just like to talk about it and then be a martyr about not having one. 

And then a couple of evenings after I'd gotten back from the States, I became annoyed with Tetsu.

We DO have an iPad and the plan had been that while I was in California the iPad would stay in Japan with him so that we could all text message each other through it.  My brother's family has iPads and iPhones etc. and of course so do Takumi and Leiya.  Maybe we could even do some Facetime or Chat or whatever the possibilities are...  And yes, we do regularly Chat with Leiya with it but it's ME who controls the iPad.  Before I left I made sure to teach Tetsu how to use the texting app.

"Look for this icon, click on this button.  If we call you first then you swipe here...."

HOWEVER...  He never did get on the iPad.  He said it froze on him or maybe it was completely broken.  So we communicated through his office computer...  And when I came back to Japan, it was one swipe in a different direction that put the iPad back in use.  Sigh.

"Don't you even WANT to learn how to use it?  Are you just being stubborn?  It isn't THAT hard.  The technology is at your fingertips and you won't even try."

Ooh...  Bad wife!

But I sort of heard myself scolding myself and the conversation about TRYING with the kids came back to me.

So yesterday I got the info about purchasing and maintaining an iPhone...  I'm going to do it!  I just needed to check with Tetsu one last time that he wasn't out and out against me joining the new world of technology...

"Hmm.  Maybe I should get one too...  When you were annoyed at me last week I heard myself in your words criticizing the people in my office who are too stubborn to learn anything new.  Maybe I should try an iPhone too."

Well!  That was a surprise!  Yeah!  So maybe we'll both learn some new tricks...  (Though Tetsu is still in the back and forth stage....)  Today I'm off to the phone shop. 
"I think I can -- I think I can -- I think I can!"

15 comments:

  1. Embrace the new technology with open arms... and fingers.. I have had a smart phone, android, since my birthday last July. The best of anything I have had. This year it has really been used now Josh is at Vic University. And yes, we also do FaceTime with the iPad as well. And Tanya, this will give you a wee smile after your sadness.. When I showed Hugh my birthday gift, that was from family and friends.. he looked and said " Well, I think I should have one too"!! So he did!!! And then,, he didn't like it at all.Your live has been spread so far and wide, and darling Vel, waiting till you arrived home, that was maybe his best gift of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, 'sister' Tanya!
    When my seven-year-old mobile started giving me trouble I knew it was time to change to a newer (smart) phone. The young clerks in the shop looked both me and the phone up and down and declared us 'antique'. Soon I found that the PHONE might be smart, but YOU also have to be smart enough to figure out the Japanese instructions for how to get it going, setting passwords and getting connected to the service provider etc. Well, it is never too late to learn, so ask a Japanese (husband, friend or sales clerk) to help you get started.
    I also treated myself to a printed manual from the bookstore, so I can learn how to use my smart phone smartly, and on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to hear of the passing of Vel, our pets are a major part of our families and they give us so much pleasure. Hope all is well at home, take care, thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Tetsu will find it easier than you think. I have an iphone, and it's pretty user-friendly, and there are internet help sites if you have a problem. Even better, find a young person to show you how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear of Vel's loss.
    I've had a smartphone now for quite some time, and just had to get a new Android phone, since the last one gave me problems. And I'm not looking back, it's just great to have access to it all. I would encourage you to get an iPhone, if that's what your kids have. And yes, learning something new IS a challenge as well as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya - embrace the smart phone - the iPhone works like the iPad so you won't have any problems, my 81 year old Mom LOVES her technology and uses an iPad, iTouch and iPhone interchangeably, and my tech challenged honey as even gotten used to the iPhone I forced on him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that cute.....you found the right book and snapped a photo.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you can. Joe and I did it and have never looked back. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you will really enjoy a smart phone. I am in my late 60s and have had a smart phone for several years. My flip phone needed replacing and the promotion on the android phone that I got was too good to resist. That was back in the days when promotions made the phones practically free. After rebates, I paid only $50 and committed to a two year contract (no increase in monthly fee). They also transferred all the information from one phone to another and gave me a quick training session. I was in love with my phone very quickly. I continually use it for texting (which I never expected), sending photos, etc. I am not nearly as computer savvy as you. I remember reading of computer issues you resolved and being impressed! Have fun with your new toy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about Vel, it difficult when they go, even tho they have had a good life...
    I dont use my Iphone as much as I thought I would.....but it does have a good little camera, I hardly ever use my other sony camera now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you Tanya! At my house it was my husband telling me I can't learn how to use a "smart" phone. Maybe I was not ready the first time I tried one or maybe it was the phone, but I got one and I love it and I can do more on it than my husband can. Now there are days I don't even turn my computer on at all. I am so sorry about your fur baby. They are truly one of our children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say go for it. I didn't give in until two years ago to even own a cell phone but sure like having one now. With one of our children "down under" it is wonderful to have apps that allow us to keep in almost daily communication with her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I well remember the day when the school began teaching about computers. I told my husband then that the time had come to get one ... otherwise be left behind. I see so many elderly folks in the church who have not moved with the times and been left out when communications changed.
    It is not easy learning to jump through new hoops. I am still struggling with my MacBook ... but it is way better than nothing. My phone is a google android and I don't use more than a fraction of its apps, but I picked an AU because it was the only one that got connections when I was out in the woods with the scouts. I have already found out I do not want to read books on line. For now I will use what I have until it dies and then look at the price of making changes and my frustration level with Japanese instructions. I think you need to take everything into consideration but not be afraid of change.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol! My first thought: " I bet Yumi-Kun can teach you how to use that new iPhone!"

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.