Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Vel

Well.

We had a rough but short two days nursing Vel and he passed away early this morning.  When I mean rough, it was only rough on our hearts.  Vel was fairly quiet during the past couple of days and I spent all day yesterday either holding him or petting him or turning him over once in a while.  I even took him outside and laid him on the grass for a few minutes but it seemed too cold to stay out long though he sniffed at a few leaves beneath him.

Why is it that I always feel like I could have done more?  Or that maybe that I did too much?  Nothing is pure and simply enough.  Should I have let him stay outside longer?  Should I have had him put to sleep the day before?

In the end I went to bed around 10:00 and Tetsu stayed on the sofa next to Vel all night.  When I heard Tetsu moving around at 3:00 I came back downstairs... but the vigil was over.
Not unlike my stay at my mother's bedside, I spent yesterday sitting next to Vel making an embroidered postcard.
Sweet Vel last July taking a nap in my JoAnn's sewing bag.

27 comments:

  1. You gave Vel a wonderful Life! He hit the jackpot when he came to live with you and Tetsu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tanya, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Vel. It's heartbreaking to lose a pet but you and Tetsu were with him at the end and I hope that brings some comfort to you both.

    Thinking of you,
    Teresa F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. Our pets have a special place in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you did just what Vel wanted. Especially holding him and staying close. He waited until you came home and he had a good long life. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart goes out to you. We had a similar experience not long ago. It's so difficult to say good-bye to those babies we love so much, and so soon after having to say good-bye to your family must make it that much harder. Know that your friends are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry! How blessed Vel was to have had you and Tetsu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sympathy on the loss of your beloved pet. Vel had a long and good life with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Tanya,
    Throughout your blog I have read of your love for Vel and he really had a good home with you and Tetsu. Now Vel has moved to his home in Heaven.
    It was right to let him pass away when his time came. For sure you did everything you could to make his end as gentle as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear of Vel's passing. He will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge..

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Sorry Tanya, he waited for you to come home and he is at peace now. You have a good man to watch vigil over sweet Vel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of us who love our animals share your grief but hope you can take comfort from knowing what a wonderful life you gave him. Thinking of you both at this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry that your dear Vel has gone now. But you took time out and showed him comfort in his last days. A pet that needs us gives a special relationship. So, glad he did not have to struggle, but that he chose the time to go.
    Big hugs,
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear of Vel's passing. Take solace in the fact that he had a wonderfully blessed life with you and Tetsu. Losing a loved one, whether human or pet, hurts. May your hearts be filled with wonderful and loving memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about Vel! Even though it was probably bittersweet, I am so glad you got home and were able to spend some time with him. Vel was a much loved pet and had a wonderful life. You gave him a good home and lots of love. Every animal should be so lucky. Hope the days ahead are filled with much joy as you get caught up and back in your routine life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking of you at this difficult time. We love our pets so much and you can rest assured that you gave Vel a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You stayed with him, and held his hand, talked and cared and loved so much, and this is the biggest blessing any cat can have. we can always have doubts, but he was peaceful, and now he has a postcard made just for him, beautiful words, and so true.The loss will be felt so much, and I send love and hugs from down here, XXX

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tanya, I'm very sorry for your loss of Vel. It doesn't matter how many pets we have they are all very special and loved. So glad you were home and got to spend the last couple of days being close. You gave her the very best home. Blessings to you and Tetsu. Patty MC

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm one of your quiet followers. You did a beautiful thing for your sweet Vel, letting him pass in the comfort of his home and in the presence of those he loved! My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vel was lucky to have such loving people. You have my sympathy. Losing a furry friend hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How heart wrenching. So very sorry to hear that Vel has passed away. You did all you could to keep him comfortable, and his final hours were not alone. His paws will always be on your heart. {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perhaps that is the hardest thing about keeping pets. Perhaps Vel waited for the comfort of your arms and chose his time. I remember how hard it was to take my beloved Kiska to the vet when she was just lying in her own mess, unable to even move, and the vet berated me for my decision saying that we only love and care for our pets until it gets inconvenient (and expensive). How could he have said that when Kiska had been my best friend and loyal companion all those years? Convenience? I am glad you didn't have to make that decision. Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw sweetie - you did so much, please don't feel you didn't do enough. It is normal to feel this way though - anyone in your place who loved their pet feels this way. You loved your kitty and made him comfortable and didn't put him down when you didn't think it was the right thing to do. You watched his quality of life until the end and were his caretaker. I'm so glad you were able to be at home for his passing. The postcard is lovely and it is not hard to see that your heart is heavy and grieving right now. I hope you have peace, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so sorry to read about Vel's death. We went through that last summer with Chesty and I still question myself. In the end I made the best decisions I could at the time and I'm sure you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. so sorry for your loss but glad you made it home in time to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ((((((((((((((((Tanya)))))))))))))) I'm so sorry, hon.....you surely gave him a very good life, no cat could ask for better. I'm so glad you could be with him.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Tanya, I just read about your beautiful Velvet "Vel" My tears are flowing so I can only imagine how you must feel. My heart foes out to you and Tetsu. Losing our fur babies is so hard. You have such beautiful memories of Vel, he will never be forgotten. He looks so much like my sweet Tabitha. Hugs and purrs to you.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.