Before Leiya came to visit she had just bought a new camera... a mirrorless one on my advice (smaller than a regular lens changing camera) but she didn't buy any of the interchangeable lenses thinking that she needed to figure out how to use what she had.
She was having so much fun with it that she will probably splurge for another lens in the near future. She and Tetsu are alike in their camera usage as both of them just point and shoot 10 pictures of the same thing and hope that one of the photos comes out.
I am more selective in my shooting.
We walked in the mornings dangling our respective cameras around our necks and taking pictures of flowers and scenery, comparing shots. Over the years, some things I've learned about my camera could be applied to her new one though hers has many more features and for some reason one of my lenses stopped working this trip...
Anyway we had fun with our cameras... a new Mother and Daughter thing.
Kiana took both of us one day to the fitness club she goes to and the three of us attempted a yoga class. A lot more work than I was planning to do!
One night when Takumi was visiting we had a Canasta tournament! Eight of us (a family friend joined us) hunkered down over two tables and played for most of the night. Such fun! I wonder why Tetsu and I don't play cards more often... Not many adults do in Japan. Cards and games are just for kids. Leiya remembered a game night that she thought that we had in our family regularly during her childhood, but I couldn't remember that at all.
"I think that is just wishful thinking. The four of us may have played cards two or three times but it wasn't a regular thing."
We appealed to Takumi later and he claims that as a family we played maybe 10 times but Leiya insists it was more. I'll have to see if Tetsu remembers.
The few times that we got out as a family were the days that Takumi planned. It did mean that we were on a schedule though as Grandma couldn't be left for more than 5 hours. (My brother doesn't do diaper changing even though he will feed and give medications. He missed this outing.)
But here he is actually SMILING with two of his favorite girls. (Whoops.... where's Marcy?)
Grandma lapped up the attention and was oh so happy when Leiya and I crawled into bed with her.
Trying to take a threesome selfie which Grandma could NOT figure out at all. Leiya was a real trooper getting into the muck and yuck of Grandma care. She is nearly always cheerful and along with Marcy, the three of us thoroughly enjoyed taking care of Grandma together.
Yesterday I went to Jo-Anns' to buy some decorative thread. Today I'll need to return library books and pack. I have to be at the airport by noon tomorrow. The summer went quickly.
Dear Taniwa
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your posts about caring for your mother. Having elders in my own family (and being one myself) all of your posts hit home. It is so reassuring to know we are not alone in these activities and struggles. I admire you and your family so much in the way each lends their particular strengths to the need and desire to care as well as possible for your mother. I'm a believer that love is in the doing. Your posts help me cope and I will keep them in mind as time marches on for me too.
Sending gratitude your way, Neame
It has been so long since I played canasta ... or even heard the word, that I would have to start all over again. I played number ten dominos with my granddad every visit and our family always has a jigsaw puzzle out at family gatherings. It may be hard to leave but you have made a big difference while there. Have a safe trip back. Your family here will be glad to see you for sure.
ReplyDelete