After my mother hit 80, every summer after my California visits I would leave thinking that I might not see her again. That is the down side of living on the other side of the world though I suppose it is the same even if you live in another state from an elderly parent or across town when they are very ill. But Grandma has stayed healthy and each year we count down the days until I will be visiting again (Grandma starts counting the day I leave California). Today's leaving will be even more uncertain... I've let Grandma and Marcy and other friends know that I may be back in 6 months. So basically it is,
"Grandma, hang on 6 months! I'll see you then!"
Marcy predicts that Grandma will be sad and withdrawn the next few days or weeks. Marcy sees this every summer... I wouldn't know.
I wonder though... Grandma already doesn't remember that Leiya was here nor that friends who visited yesterday bringing gifts have stopped in.
"Where did the flowers come from? Who brought the teddy bear?"
I was surprised at how she thrilled at the teddy bear... talking baby talk, petting it. Just the cuteness, the softness is cheering to her, but it reminds me of the elderly who think they are carrying around a child... Well, it gives her comfort. We should have known that she might have bonded with a teddy bear because she's always been such an animal lover and would trap a struggling animal in her arms. Now she has a teddy bear she can talk to.
So... I'm hoping that Grandma forgets right away that I was ever visiting... and thus won't feel the pain of my leaving. Still, subconsciously she's going to feel that some daily presence (mine) isn't popping through the door, isn't joking and touching and loving her. I have to trust that Marcy will do enough that Grandma doesn't even notice and with the slew of hospice staff she will certainly have more company.
Such laughter we've had this month. I honestly wondered if all Grandma's laughter was going to rob her of oxygen or give her too much (I didn't know which way it works). One day she had a sniffle.. a "booger" in her nose and every time she breathed she produced a whistle. Oh the hilarity of it all! Grandma laughed and laughed and we joined her and my funny faces at her funny noises just made her laugh more and more.
Another time we found Grandma sleeping peacefully in bed but with no diapers on... Did she lose them when she was sleeping? Have they fallen under the bed? Leiya finally found them in the bathroom so Grandma had crawled to the end of the bed, past the rails, worked her way to the bathroom, done her business and then done the reverse going back to bed. Fooled us all!
"Grandma! How did you DO that? Did you climb over the rails? You are so sneaky!"
Grandma thought is so funny that her family was standing around her bed trying to figure out her antics. Safe it wasn't, but fun it was! And maybe safety isn't everything. A good memory was made and we were all given a jolt of cheer.
So... Who knows... I may be back one more time this year. That would be nice for all of us.
You are in my thoughts today, not only because you have to leave your mother, but because of the news of the earthquake in Japan. Hoping all are OK..... Saying a prayer for peace and safety and reuniting.
ReplyDeleteI hope you do make it back one more time and sooner than six months. When I see pictures of your mother, I am reminded of mine. She is very fortunate. She is a wonderful mother.
ReplyDeleteTanya, safe travels home. Hope you enjoyed catching up with your children/family and spent quality time with your Mother. Time travels fast and before you know it, you will be back visiting her.
ReplyDeleteTanya - it must be so hard to leave! Go home in peace knowing that you have done your duty and enjoyed time with your family and especially your mother.
ReplyDeleteJust heard about the earthquake in Japan. Praying that everyone you love is safe.
ReplyDeleteMelissa Raddetz
I hate to say I'm "enjoying" your journey, but I am. You are informaing all of us and it is, really, a help. More than that, though, I love your candor and words. They echo my own feelings and fears about the coming changes of life in our family. Thank you so much. Kathie in Odessa, WA
ReplyDeleteThank you for your thoughts on your mother's situation. It is so hard to see parents aging and unable to do things for themselves. I'm sure your mother appreciated your visit and more than that, you will know that you came at a time she needed you. Praying for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteHoping that the earthquake did not cause problems for you on your way home.
I've been in Texas, visiting my mother (and other family). I lost my father years ago. I'm several states away from my family, and always wonder if I'll be there in time to see them one more time. God provided a way for me to be with my father when he died. I'll always treasure that. The memories are what sustain us.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gloriously beautiful post. You bring tears to my eyes, bittersweet because of the sadness of the inevitability of losing a loved one, yet such happiness of the love you share. It brought back so many memories of the relationship we had with both of my parents, especially my father while he lived with us the last years of his life.
ReplyDeleteWe have been thinking of you daily since we have heard the news of earthquakes in Japan. I am not sure exactly where you live or if your area is involved, but are so very sorry that it happened. We hope you and yours are all OK.
Love and hugs,
Lois
Heard about the earthquake in Japan. Anywhere near your home? Hope allis well with Tetsu and the cats and dog.
ReplyDeleteYou made such a difference while you were there. Sure you are going to be missed by everyone and hopefully there will be another trip to bring joy.
ReplyDelete