Sunday, April 24, 2016

I don't know why...

Okay...  I've had a weekend with this iPhone.  Not that I'd planned my blog to be a progress report on my iPhone but actually that is about all I can get my brain to think about the past two days.

I managed very easily to contact Leiya on Saturday morning.  Just type in her icloud address to the message box and there is Leiya!  She quickly got on video chat and I had my first face-to-face chat with her using my iPhone.

I had also tried to send a message to Marcy and Kiana in California and to Takumi who for some reason can't do messaging but can do Line which is a Japanese texting service.  I have no idea why he can do one but not the other.  BUT I couldn't connect with Marcy and Kiana...  And Leiya helped me with that finally by having Kiana contact ME and then I could reply.  Again, I have no idea why that worked but the other way didn't.

"Does it matter?  It worked!"

Leiya taught me a few tricks for typing things, and for changing settings and she promised to help me now and then.

Next Takumi contacted me...  through Line.  And we video chatted again!  So cool!  We tried to get my blog icon downloaded somewhere into my iPhone so that I can check in every once in awhile but we never did get that accomplished.  It seems that Blogger no longer has an icon to download... not to the iPad nor the iPhone...  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  At any rate I seem to have to go through Safari and into Favorites to see my own blog whereas with iPad I could just click on the icon...  Actually I have no idea how to visit ANYONE'S blog on my iPhone yet.  I could use some help with that too...  Takumi's advice was to talk to someone who has an iPhone,

"Because I have Android so I don't know what iPhone does."

(but remember, HE recommended iPhone as he thought it would be easier for me to use as I already have the iPad...  NOT the same!)

I also don't seem to understand the theory behind Wifi and Cellular service so I don't know when I'm using what nor how much of the storage or the service or the packet or whatever it is called I've used.  I seem to have spent quite a long time talking with both Takumi and Leiya and already gone over the limit I was allotted this month.  Well, I guess it was worth it to gain a bit more knowledge and help from them.  Now I'm afraid to open up the iPhone at all again!  In two days I've gone over my quota!  (Maybe... I need to check with a friend who may be able to look inside my iPhone and see what I've done.)

So, my adventure has begun.  I tried GPS yesterday for 5 minutes while we were out just to see if it works. (Yes!  It does!  And in English too!)  I tried to listen to an audio book while I was in the car but for some reason I couldn't do that.  I don't know why...

That seems to be my reoccurring chant.  "I don't know why..."
Progress on my New York Beauty blocks include a third block now...  It is the green and blue one on the bottom left.  That's the only progress I feel confident about these days what with iPhone questions...

8 comments:

  1. Tanya, with your phone if you turn off what we have here is called " Mobile Data".. as that uses up your quota before you realise it. You go to Settings, which is like a cog wheel, and scroll down to Mobile Data. Not sure if your iPhone is the same as my android smart phone, but it should work on the same principle. Love your quilting, stunning.Meantime enjoy learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you are frustrated with some of the struggles with your new phone, I am impressed with all that you have done and all that you are learning. It is truly a learning experience but you seem to grasp it quickly once someone explains an issue to you. I am sure it's even more challenging with Japanese language and service. You are truly impressive! (And not only with your quilting.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your frustration ... as my guru is in the states too. I have been seeing that I have run out of space for over a month now but have finally ignored it and am coming to think it is a way to get you to buy more on line rather than a real warning. You can always do what I do when things get too complicated ... make another block! At least doing that, you have a bit more control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those icons you might mean are called Apps on the iPhone. You can find them in the App store (there should be an icon for that on your iPhone's desktop -it comes as part of the basic package of stuff on your phone ... On my phone the App Store icon is a blue square with a white calital letter A inside a circle). 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just make sure you are on Wifi at your house (or free at coffee shops, etc.) to do FaceTime; emails, etc. Otherwise, you will use up your data/minutes. Good luck. I too have Android

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is probably an indicator somewhere that shows whether you are using your wifi instead of using your data plan by making the phone connect with the cell phone system for its internet signal. It will be good to find out what happens when you go over your limit, because it is possibly quite expensive to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blocks are lovely. Hang in there with the iphone, you'll get the hang of it. There are some good online sites for learning how it works, and how to do things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In app store you should be able to search for blogger and download the icon (or program, if you'd like). I use the app when blogging "on the go", when I don't have my computor with me. Also, I use the app Feedly to follow blogs. It allows me to save links to blogs, and whenever there's a new post, it's ready to be read in the app.
    Limit the programs (apps and such) who are allowed to use your mobile data and use wireless as much as possible - maybe even check with your phonecompany to get a better deal with regards to mobile data. Most of them have a standard amount of data which is very small.
    And good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.