Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Day 27 - Dodekula

I guess I'm ready to pack away the sewing machine.  This month I got Colin's Majestic Mountains quilt flimsy finished and then started up a quilt challenge that I've been wanting to make.  Ula Lenz's Dodekula.  
I have used Ula's paper piecing patterns years ago and I will occasionally visit her website to see what she has new.  I discovered her Dodekula quilt and immediately thought that it would be something I'd like to make for Takumi (being mathematically inclined).  But the number of fabrics involved, preferably solids, was just too hard to think about in Japanese fabric stores.  But at M and L's Discount Fabrics?  YES!  Their range of fabrics is wonderful!  This is the place to buy specific fabrics!

With pattern printed out and in hand, Marcy and I went to M and L's again and she helped me choose fabrics (blue, green, a BLENDING of blue-green etc.) and once Colin's quilt flimsy was finished I started paper piecing.  This was going to be a surprise for Takumi but he saw some of the paper pieces when he was here on Saturday so I showed him what I was making.  He couldn't quite understand what paper piecing is all about (not many non-quilters comprehend the idea... sometimes I'm not sure I understand what I'm doing either) but he was interested.
Simba helped me arrange the pieces one day... and Koa stepped on another set with his big muddy paws.  There will always be a reminder of Koa at one corner of the black...  I don't think this is going to be a great washable quilt.
Yesterday I got all my pieces sewn together and then put on the borders.  Black, rainbow and black again.  Yeah!  Another flimsy finished and ready to take back with me to Japan.  All these flimsies will get quilted on my machine at home and I have no idea HOW I'm going to quilt this one so that is still looks three dimensional.  Any ideas?

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that was fast! Yes, paper piecing is hard to explain to even hand piecers. I think the best parts are you don't have to worry about direction of the grain and blocks all come out the right size ... and of course you don't have to spend hours with a pencil and template either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowzers..that is a terrific quilt design!
    About the quilting...may I suggest lines...going to the points of the crystals - could be straight or wiggly...draw them out on Press N Seal and see if you like the effect...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Takumi's quilt is truly STUNNING! You are the Queen of Machine Quilting so the finished quilt will be just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh, I think I'm in trouble! I love the 3 dimensionality of that block - so cool! Maybe straight lines to each point? Either in a matching thread or a neutral colour - right... with all those different colours!
    Great job with the colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of the quilt tops you made while visiting your family are just beautiful. Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions for the quilting of Takumi's quilt. I would have to study it and draw imaginary lines for a while. Please share once you have made a decision.

    Also, I always enjoy your blog and am so glad you posted while you are in California. It is just wonderful to read about your family and how you are all dealing with the issues of your Mom's health. You are all blessed to be part of such a great family and have such support. It's so great that you have recorded these days with both highs and lows. Wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip back to Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stitch in the ditch, so the stitching doesn't show.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.