So... I went to the iphone shop yesterday. And I have a new iPhone! Yeah!
But... it is not so easy... Once I had an iPhone it had to be set-up right? And that proved a lot more difficult than either I and the iPhone clerk planned. What is my account email going to be? What is my account password? Yes, I can use the ones I've already had.
BUT!!!! TANYA IS A COMPLETE DYSLEXIC (or the word is different for numbers but the same idea) AND CANNOT TYPE IN A NUMBER CORRECTLY!!! NEVER MIND TWICE IN SUCCESSION!!!
This meant that passwords got in there wrong and then they couldn't be used again and then they had to be changed and then I'd mess up again or not put in the capital letter where I'd planned. A HORRENDOUS project!!! And that was with someone beside me coaching me!
Next was getting into the Google account so that I can... look at emails? Connect my iPhone and iPad. The clerk had THOUGHT that would be no trouble but what with Japanese and English accounts and instructions in both languages we were both on the edges of our seats. I was in the shop with this poor man from 4:00 until 6:30 when he finally told me that we were going way beyond just buying an iPhone and that I really needed to have someone who knew computers help me.
"WHAT!!! You mean I have to walk out of this store with an iPhone that I can't figure out how to use?!"
I felt like I'd been thrown into deep water not knowing how to swim... But I can't blame the poor clerk.
So I've come home and tried to do things. And did get connected with Leiya and she in turn figured out how I could connect with Marcy and Kiana (she had to contact them direct and get them to send me a message first...) and then I got in touch with Takumi and he and I have tried to get a few more things straightened out...
So nice to be able to talk and SEE my children through this amazing piece of technology! Another Japanese friend let me know I had contacted her (automatically it seems) and now we would be able to text message each other... So I'm learning.
BUT!!! What with all the password typing and whatever yesterday I find that I couldn't get into my blog this morning (Google passwords) and dang-it-all if the computer wants me to change security levels IN JAPANESE!!!! I can hardly do it in English!!!!
So you can see that I was able to get back into Blogger to blog... BUT that has meant changing passwords AGAIN!!!! I don't know if I'm going to be able to get back into the iPad or the iPhone because already they were both telling me that a new device was attempting to invade the Google account. Does anyone even know what I'm rambling about?!!!! My hands are cold and sweaty from this most recent data confrontation, and I'd like to go build a fire and live in a tent for a few years... No computer, no iPad, no iPhone NOTHING!!!!
I've got to get my excited/adventurous spirit back from yesterday...
"I think I can... can't... can... Maybe with a lot of time I can... or cannot... no, I can..."
I need to go take a walk.
I am so sorry to read of your problems with the iPhone setup Tanya! It can be frustrating at first. I have worked for Verizon Wireless for 12 yrs now, even before there was ever a thought of a *smart phone* or iPad! All there was were Blackberrys and pagers in the *dark ages*! LOL! I can tell you this, once all your passwords are in, Google for tutorials on all the features of your model of iPhone. Even after being in the cellular business for so long I still watch the tutorials for the new devices as we launch them, otherwise I'd not know a thing about them! I still don't know how to use my iPad very well, my phone is Android. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteGanbatte, Tanya... You can, you can, you can do it. Soon we'll be able to read your blog post 'sent from iPhone'.
ReplyDeleteWe go forward by taking courageous steps to learn about new things Tanya. I am often challenged by technology and need to be shown how to do something new more than once. I have friends who regularly visit the store where they bought their phone to get advice. I didn't like the way my phone was "taken over" when everything (email, fb etc.) linked together, now I find it very convenient when away from my computer. Once you get used to the new technology it will delight you too.
ReplyDeleteCongrats for venturing into the iphone world! It is confusing at first but once you get used to what you need to do, it does make life easier - that is until they update the software again! I still have to figure out how to do things and I've had my smart phone for several years now. I do get frustrated with "auto correct"! It has made me stop and reread my messages before I send them - that is probably a good thing. I still prefer my computer or ipad for most things, though. Messaging has been a blessing during my mother's and my sister's illnesses, though.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you will come to like the phone better and wonder how you managed without it. Good luck!
hang in there! when you are too stressed out, look up warrior breathing! it will calm you down. Also drink lots of water.
ReplyDeletewelcome to the iPhone family....it will get easier and you will like it i promise!
ReplyDeleteWhat I love best about your blog, Tanya, is that you just share your crazy life with us, messy as it is. Thank God that due to this wonderful technology, your children could help you figure it out. Personally, I keep an Excel spreadsheet with usernames & passwords because there are way too many to remember in my head. Stay in there & pray without ceasing.!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations !! The learning curve can be overwhelming ... maybe try learning One New Thing Daily. Haha, this pearl pf advice if from someone who just recently "upgraded" to an iphone 5 ... :) (R in KK)
ReplyDeleteOh the headaches with new technology - I can so relate!! My phone is an Android and I just love it, NOW, although it still manages to catch me by surprise now and then. I went looking at new phones the other day, at the same store I bought the first one from, and the guy told me he was SO impressed at how I've learned - he remembered how in awe I was over the fact that you just touch the screen, lol! So it can be done, and you can do it, if I can you can. However, I didn't have two languages to deal with....but I know you can do it hon.
ReplyDeleteI assure you that it will get easier. I love my iPhone and iPad. They make my life so much better. The more you use your devices the easier it will get. You need a teenager who already uses an iPhone to help you out! My kids were invaluable when I was first learning.
ReplyDeleteHang in there. Keep using the iphone. It gets easier the more you use it. When I started with mine 4 years ago, I was like you. Had problems inputing passwords. Made errors and couldn't enter the same twice. Yikes. Now, I don't know why I had so many problems. When changing more than one account like when you are starting, have paper and pen to write down new passwords. Have fun. I enjoy reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you can do it, but there is no way I can help you. My phone is way back in the dark ages (text and phone only. It has a camera but I don't know how to get my pictures out of it!) I understand your frustrations though - today my internet connection was broken and I couldn't call the person to tell them because their phone number was online!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on taking the plunge! I agree with other readers, using the iPhone will be easier and more enjoyable once you get used to it.
ReplyDeleteThe problem before that is of course, you need to get it working with the passwords etc.
I think you are lucky you got your phone in the 'sticks' where a clerk can spend several hours helping customers. It is far more stressful in the metropolis with long queues of customers breathing down your (and the sales clerk's) neck. I also think you are so fortunate that your kids on the other side of the Globe can help you out.
Take notes of all password changes with paper and pen, and enter the code slowly.
Good luck!
First of all, I am so glad to know there is one other person in the world with "dyscalcula"! That's what the psychologist called it when she discovered I can do nothing with numbers. Apparently there are some dyslexics out there that can use numbers but I am not one of them.
ReplyDeleteI also recall my attempts to get help at the store where I bought my phone. It is a Google android and has English capabilities but when I go to the shop for help ... the girl changes all the settings to Japanese and messes with it before handing it back. My go-to guru is my son in Colorado and he is pretty good at helping ... even at a distance. Better to try new hoops to jump through than give up.
Could Yuma-kun or one of his friends help?
ReplyDeleteHang in there Tanya - as everyone has said, it will get easier as time goes by & you use the device more & more. This will make no sense at all during your "new" ownership of an iPhone, so just file it away for later.......we use an App called "1Password" that is extremely secure that can be shared on both your iPad & iPhone. You store all your user names & their respective passwords in a "vault" and only have to remember one master password to retrieve all the others. It has simplied my life - I rarely use my Google or Apple passwords therefore could never remember them. I enjoy your blog posts & beautiful pictures - I have even saved a closeup of your peacock picture as my iPad screen saver - oops, please forgive me if I should have asked first. Beth in AL USA
ReplyDelete