Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Square or Rectangle?

On the first day of Golden Week I decided to start another quilt.  Ages and ages ago I commented on a blogger's beautiful batik quilt and she shared the pattern with me.  But there it has sat in my "Quilts To Make Someday" file.
On Golden Week's first day I searched my scraps and stash for pits and pieces of batik fabrics.  I think I spent the rest of the day cutting up pairs of light and dark fabrics into 6 inch squares.  Does that look like it is going to be a quilt?

And for the rest of the week, between outings and swimming and dog walking (and trips to the vet) I would snatch an hour or so here and there and cut and sew and cut and sew.

I now have 36 light and dark blocks.  This will make a nice square quilt.  Do I want a square quilt?
Most of the larger quilts that I make are rectangles.  My bed cover quilts never really completely cover a bed, (not a lot of overhang), but they sort of cover the bed surface.  Square quilts seem to make nice wall hangings but that's just my preference.  But as I'm not really trying to completely cover a bed, square or rectangle it is probably all the same.

This quilt pattern is for a square quilt but I could make 6 more blocks (or more) to make a larger bed cover quilt.

This is going to be a quilt for a friend.  Would you make a square quilt or a rectangle quilt?

16 comments:

  1. Definitely a rectangle. I would want a pretty quilt like that to cover my bed as a proper bed cover not just lie on top. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, that is truly super!!! Love those batiks, and I would go for wider to go over the sides of the bed, so a rectangle So it would be 6 blocks long, and 8 blocks wide, that means another 12 blocks, do you have enough Batik? .Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been saving up some batiks too but haven't come up with a plan. Yours seems like a very good one.
    I would probably make a rectangular one but then, I have no wall space to hang anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would depend on the colour of bed linen she uses. If she uses white, or any plain colour really, not patterned, then square would look good, but if she has patterned bed linen then your lovely quilt could look a bit lost if any of the bed linen were to show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have liked square quilts = rectangular for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blocks. I like the colors very much. I like rectangles but make a fair number of square quilts as well. One of our quilts won a prize at our annual show! It was rectangular. I made a blue quilt for the show and my friend Debbie that was 81 inches square. A BIG square. You have a good eye for color and that block is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much of a fan of batiks, but I do love your quilt. I'd definitely make it a rectangle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt, Tanya. I make square quilts for baby quilts, but for a lap or bed quilt I would go with a rectangle.
    I love the pattern for your quilt....it is on my To Do List.
    Best regards from Gail in Wa State

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE how this is coming along! Rectangle. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how this is coming along! Rectangle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! I prefer rectangular quilts, but you should make what you prefer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Personally I like rectangle quilts as they tend to cover a person better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rectangle as it has more uses.
    Gorgeous and my favorite kind of squares!
    Ruth in Oxnard

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rectangular.......just because........hugs, Pat in IN

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.