Monday, May 19, 2014

Twelve Days

Do these pictures even show up in a blog post?  I have been photographing bamboo shoots.  Bamboo may not be very interesting, but the shoots do grow very fast.  It seems that within days the shoots are brushing the sky...  How fast DO bamboo shoots grow?  I decided to spend a week photographing a bamboo shoot.

Every morning I park my car across the street from the elementary school and next to a bamboo grove...  Ah... Here is a shoot that is barely poking its sprongs from the ground.  And everyday, at the same time, I have photographed the same area watching the bamboo grow.  Before long there were other shoots making an appearance around the car too.  So here we have twelve days in the life of a bamboo shoot.  (No photos on the weekends.)
Starting at the left hand upper corner...  There is hardly anything there.  A small knob in the foreground but I was really aiming at a shoot next to an already grown bamboo pole on the left.  A red traffic cone in the distance and a parking sign on the right...  By day two a bit of a shoot could be seen next to the pole...  Days three and four were Saturday and Sunday so I didn't go to the school...  By day five both shoots were pushing upward...  Day six, day seven, slow but steady....  Day eight, wow a real growth spurt!  And a new shoot there in front...  Day nine, growing so fast that I can hardly keep up with it!  Day twelve, after a weekend, this is about as much of the shoot as I can get into a picture frame.
And this collage was just close up shots of the same bamboo shoot.

Well, that was interesting.  I am reminded of my kids' Science projects in elementary school.

8 comments:

  1. About 50 years ago, we planted some smaller garden variety bamboo with black canes but mixed in was a larger variety and it tends to break ground while I am away at camp, coming up in inconvenient places ... pushing up stepping stones, poking up between the house and wiring or gutters etc.and blocking the sensors, making the night-lights stay on all day. The smaller stuff couldn't compete and finally bloomed and died. I'm glad the volunteer stiff isn't that big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanya, yes, the bamboo shoot pictures are nice and clear...nice to see how these things grow:) I'm sending you an e-mail tonite, tooo..........hugs, Pat in IN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating, I wonder where it gets the energy from to grow that quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! They really do grow fast!
    A couple of years ago we visited "La Bambouseraie" in Anduze (the Ardèche region in the south of France - www.bambouseraie.com) and it was great to see all those different kinds of bamboo, buildings, ... Your pictures made me think of it :-).
    Have a nice week!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow!!!
    Regards from Gail in Wa State

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is impressive speed! Thanks for the collage

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! This was enlightning too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing! Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.