Thursday, May 22, 2014

Heavily quilted

Thank you for all your advice yesterday.  I will check out what we have in the way of Red Yeast and Garlic capsules here in Japan...

Heading into the end of May I needed to get a fabric post card made for my mother again.  (Still no word about whether she LIKES getting my monthly fabric cards).  For a change I wanted to do one completely quilted.  I thought about feathers and spirals but chose to use different colored threads and "sketch" some ginko leaves.
On plain yellow fabric with dark green thread I quilted in the outline of a leaf or two and then I changed to some pastel shimmery Sulky thread and added other lines and leaf veins.  And finally I got out the Sulky variegated yellow thread and quilted in pebbles around the leaves.
I don't think I've ever quilted anything so densely and this was a good place to try...  Think of all the thread that gets used when filler-quilting on large quilts as many quilters do.  I will get this off today and hopefully it will be added to my mother's refrigerator gallery.

14 comments:

  1. It is so pretty! It is also a great idea to try a small project like this for dense quilting! I may try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilted card Tanya, absolutely beautiful. Wish some one from your family would let you know if your mother likes the cards, bet she tells everyone she sees that 'Tani made this for me' and proudly displays her quilted card gallery, but she forgets when she chats to you, I know my mother was like that and I only found out she liked something when my sister told me. Have also left a message under yesterdays post. Love M from Western Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunningly gorgeous, I'm so sure your Mum is so happy to get one like that, Ginko leaf outline is superb. Cheers, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty. I'm sure your mother will like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mother's fridge will be a real art gallery! It's a lovely card with beautiful machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The card is a perfect place to practice all that fiber-art. I'm sure your mom is happy with her collection and the reminder of your care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, if I got a postcard every month it would go up on the wall. Your postcard is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Tanya, Love the Card!!! Also when you come home for a month this summer and you can't find the red yeast and garlic, you could buy a big supply here and ship it back to your home. Just a thought. Love reading about your life in Japan. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely quilting an beautiful design - what a great thing to practice on

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ginkgo leaves and trees are a favorite of mine--love your sketching! All that dense quilting on the prize-winning masterpieces surely take many miles of thread, I agree. Hope you hear she likes this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, Tanya, this card is ever so awesome...for a couple of reasons....#1, it was made by you, #2, you have done Gingko leaves on it!!! Oh, and btw, our little gingko tree is leafing out nicely for its size, about 4 feet tall....gathering box of things that you need, and should go in mail Tues next....Mon. is Memorial Day holiday....big hugs, Pat in IN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really artistically done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tanya...I use cinnamon capsules for cholesterol. My doc kept bugging me but I refused medication. Told him I had to fix it myself. Taking 2 cinnamon capsules (about a teaspoon) daily plus a garlic capsule lowered my bad cholesterol 30 points in a 4 month period.
    PS...the postcard is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is exquisite! Lovely work congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.