Friday, May 30, 2014

Going offline for awhile

Other people like spring and for the flowers and greenery, I do too.  But I hate this season because of the abandoned kittens that people leave.

A couple weeks ago we found a box of dead kittens in the forest behind us.  I came nearly undone but managed to keep busy and think of other things.  I have avoided the road just because I remember the shock of looking down into that box.  I was somewhat proud that I didn't lose it altogether and was able to carry on.  There have been times when I am really inconsolable and unapproachable.   Recently I've mustered up courage to take Choco back down that road on our morning and afternoon walks and that was where we were this morning.

Another kitten... run over.  I am drifting into the dark, unreasonable mood that I can get into when something involved with an animal sets me off.  I am angry at the stupidity of people who don't neuter their animals and I'm furious with the cruelty humans have to leave those creatures at the mercy of cars and crows and starvation. 

The only positive thing I can think of is that I didn't have to bring back another kitten to take care of.

I hate myself for that thought too.

I think I'll stay offline until I can be more cheerful again.

20 comments:

  1. It is an issue here in the city too, cats and kittens being dumped in the park a block away. This week, piles of dry cat food at the corner of our street, left during the night.The solution is not sneaking into the neighborhood in the dark of night to toss food in front of someone else's house ... it is getting those cats neutered while they are still kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is heartbreaking to read about your shock. When we are reminded of the cruelty and stupidity of mankind it is easy to 'go offline'. However, I am glad that you wrote this blog post as many of your friends will come with comforting words. There is nothing we can do for the kittens now, but pray. Maybe that is why God led you down that path, and made you share your sorrow and frustration with your online friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tanya, so sorry to read of what you found! I am the same as you when it comes to animal neglect and cruelty, just reading about the dead kittens makes me ill! I will pray for the kittens and the person's who obviously DON'T believe that animals are worthy of better treatment. Hugs & blessings to you.

    Best, Ani

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand. Just wish that people could be better.Pray that you won't have to be subjected to any more stupidity .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe some time with Yuma-kun could help? He is having a tough time too. Good ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya,

    Sorry for the thoughtlessness of some people. I totally understand why you are upset. Just curious.........do you not have animal shelters in Japan? Or are they just too far away from your neighborhood for people to use them?

    Mary (linesmary1@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Tanya, I am so sorry. I think I would have reacted very similarly. Even reading about it nearly brings me to tears. (((Hugs!)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. When are you going to CA?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are feeling better .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are feeling better:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, dear Tanya, you are such a sweet, caring person. I totally understand how upsetting it is to see that anyone has mistreated animals. I am so sorry it has made you so very sad.

    Huge hugs from Port Canaveral,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  12. Friends share heartaches as well as joy. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The world would be a much better place is everyone had a kind heart like you

    ReplyDelete
  14. I miss your blog already, I certainly look forward to reading it and learning of Japan. Have wonderful break.

    ReplyDelete
  15. People being cruel to animals is my undoing too, thankfully there are many many people out there doing good things to help animals in need - - if getting another kitten to love and cherish makes you feel better - go for it, my way of coping is helping out with an animal charity, right now I am making a quilt for a dog rescue group, it will be sold to help support their rescue mission. - - Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tanya, I am so sorry for your sad experiences with the kittens. It is too bad that the people who left a box of kittens didn't have the experience of seeing what happened to them. They probably had the idea that the kitties would all be found and taken into good homes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some things are very hard to deal with, your emotions kick in and are beyond your control. This too will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Tanya! I live in the farm country of Northern Illinois. As such, I think that cats are not considered pets so much as expendable workers on the farm (barn cats). I drive 30 miles to work and often see cats hunting along the roads, drinking from puddles and occasionally the saddest sight for me, dead on the side of the road. I can't tell you how many times I've cried to work or cried on the way home. All I can do is go home and hug my 4 kitties (all rescue cats). Keep your chin up. That's all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know how you feel and hope you get thru this and back to blogging. Selfishly, I miss your posts since your blog is one of the first I read each day. Unfortunately, I have no advice on how to accept the harsh things that happen to animals. I find that I am more compassionate in regards to animals because I feel like they are at our mercy. I have cats so love seeing your cat photos and reading the cat stories. I feed numerous feral cats that live in the wooded area behind my house. Would love to do more but there is no help to trap/neuter/release in this area and my efforts at trapping proved the cats to be smarter than me. Also love seeing your quilts as I enjoy quilting but have not reached your level of creativity. Wishing you better days!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.