Monday, June 17, 2019

Okinawa Bingata Dyeing

Today I visited an dyeing exhibition by a church acquaintance.  The type of fabric dyeing is called Bingata dyeing and it is specific to the island of Okinawa which is the southernmost island of Japan. 

I knew nothing about Bingata dyeing except that it is very colorful.  The exhibit was small and for most of the time that I was visiting there was no one there but myself, which meant that M-san could explain to me about the process and the history of this textile art.
The dyeing process begins by making a stencil with paper and wax and a screen.  M-san explained that even the cutting of the stencil with an Exacto Knife is different from the usual way we think of using the knife.  Instead of pulling the knife through the paper, the knife is pushed millimeter by millimeter away from the knife user.  There are at least 10 steps and about a week's worth of dye setting time before a piece of fabric can be considered finished.
The pigments used are all natural pigments made from minerals of powered shell or stone thus they don't really dye fabric but set on top of the textile.
Once the stencils are made, then the colors can be applied in different shades.  Let's see...  the bottom center piece is rather the typical color-scheme of Okinawa Bingata with the oranges and pinks blending to blues and green.  The two pieces on the left are actually made from the same stencil just dyed with different colors.  The center top piece and the piece on the bottom right are also from the same stencil but look very different with the different colors used.
In this very large piece, the stencil was moved and wax applied eight times before the dyeing began and once all the color was applied and had set, the color sections were blocked out with wax again so that final yellow color could be applied over all.
Here were a couple more examples of the difference in color application.
And these were larger pieces of three stencils with different colors used.  So pretty!
I bought a couple of the pretty pieces that M-san had made.  This one says "Always give yourself fully to the work of the Lord. 1 Corinthians 15:58"
And isn't this pretty?! 

M-san offered to let me try my hand at stencil making and dyeing someday so maybe I'll give that a try sometime this year....  Not that I need a new craft to get engrossed in but I'm always interested in something new!

5 comments:

  1. Definitely give that a Go Tanya, beautiful, and a lot of preparation, so like a quilt, that all the hard work before we see the finish. Lovely wall hangings, I can see a Church banner made like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, so pretty!! I love the pieces you purchased. All her work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...these are beautiful and the stencils are as well. So exact...thanks for sharing this process with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love to see traditional fiber arts, especially those I have not encountered before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late to the event but have just looked back at all the wedding pictures you shared. Sitting here wiping tears from my eyes, so happy for you all. What a beautiful simple wedding, the kind I'd have chosen for myself. You looked gorgeous but not more so than the bride, and smiling tearful Tetsu was perfect. The after events seem very fun, glad you had time and money to do those things,, and that the people living in your grandparents house were so gracious and welcoming. I've been a long enough reader of your blog that I remember Pat sharing info about your grandparents long ago. so wonderful you were able to meet her and make use of her info, and the thoughtful gifts she gave you. Then to have your dog be glad to see you when you got home! that was the least of it all but a nice touch. And Tetsu's garden survived without him. What about the cats? Who took care of them while you were gone? Okay, back to normal now. Beautiful dyeing you show today. Hope you get to go back someday and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.