Thursday, June 6, 2019

Visiting Indiana

The wedding was over, Tony and Leiya were headed for their mini-moon and now was the time to put into action the second part of our trip.

Since we were in Michigan...  well, how about a trip to a little town of Columbia City, Indiana?  And why would we bother going to Indiana?  My Japanese grandparents had settled in Columbia City and my mother had lived there until she went to college.  I had wonderful memories of visiting Indiana every summer and staying at my grandparents' country home!  Tetsu was completely gung-ho about the idea.

"We need to find your grandparents' grave and tell them about their great-granddaughter's wedding."

That is so much a Japanese way of thinking...  Visiting graves, making important announcements.

I approached Marcy and Keion about the idea and Marcy at least was thrilled at the prospect of a family trip to see her children's (if not hers) roots.  And so the plans were made.

One small problem.  We had no idea where anything was.  There are no relatives, there were no addresses or names or whatever left for me to explore.  The only possible lead was a lady who had made contact with me about 10 years ago when she was doing research for the community historical society about my grandparents (she found me through my blog!)  In recent years we'd lost contact but Leiya somehow tracked the lady down again through Facebook for me.
At any rate, the day after the wedding we said good-bye to Takumi and Julieta who were going off on their own to explore Detroit and with my brother's family in a large rented van and Tetsu and me in Leiya's borrowed car, we drove three and a half hours to Indiana. 
We had made reservations at an Airbnb near a lake and settled in to make plans about looking for roots.
Beautiful lake!
And a nice little cottage to enjoy but it rained a lot during our two days at the lake and it was cold!  I borrowed my brother's jacket.

Where to start?  How about Google Maps.  I zoomed in on Columbia City.  What did I remember?  My grandparents had a summer home next to a golf course.  I zoomed in on a few golf courses.  Hmm...  There was also a lake just below the summer house.  And a pond...  And a long road through a forest that ended in a circular driveway.  Zooming in and out of Google Maps I found a golf course with a nearby building that looked like it had familiar surroundings.

"Keion.  Do you remember the name of the golf course next to Jiichan's (grandfather's) farm?"

He didn't.  But together we looked at Google Maps and both of us spotted a familiar house. That must be it!  Now...  How to go about contacting the owners about visiting the grounds?  I would tackle that problem the next day.  For now, the family was hungry and we wanted to go find a supermarket.  We all piled in the van and went looking for downtown.

A few miles down the road I said,

"Wait a minute.  This looks familiar.  Is there a golf course nearby?"

And there was!  We made a U-turn and found a road leading into a forest.  Is this the place?
"This is it!  This is the road that leads to the farm!"
We drove a few minutes through the forest that broke into a clearing and the farmhouse that my brother and I remembered...  We'd found our childhood summer home!  And then we chickened out.

"We can't just barge in.  We're trespassing.  We'd better try to make contact by phone."

That night I contacted the historical society lady and made arrangements to have lunch with her the next day.  She also gave me directions on how to find my grandparents' gravestone at the cemetery and the name of the farmhouse owners.  No telephone number though.
The next morning we headed to the Columbia City cemetery and went wandering in all directions looking for the gravestone.  And found it!
My grandparents had always loved flowers.  My grandfather had called himself the church's self-appointed flower arranger because he brought in flowers from his garden every week when they were in season.
The grave looks pretty unkempt and I guess so because for over 50 years no one has every really visited it!  Leiya did make a short trip when she was in high school (from Ohio) but my mother never returned after her father's funeral and this was the first visit for me.  Well, granddaughter (me) and great-granddaughter (Kiana) got there!

After the cemetery visit we tried the county courthouse trying to get a phone number for the country house owners (no luck), and we located the small town house where my mother had grown up (now abandoned).  
And then it was time for lunch with Pat, the former historical society acquaintance and she had presents for me!!!
Pictures of my grandparents!  They are the center two people.  I don't know who they were with...
 My mother, probably before she got married.
Pat also gave me bottles that had been manufactured by my grandfather's soy sauce factory that she'd gotten at a town auction!  Soy sauce still in this one!
These two bottles both have "Oriental Show You" embossed on the bottles and the larger one was the original bottle that had been cork topped.  Such treasures for my family!!!

So many things that I had wanted to do in Indiana crossed off my list.  As for the farm house, Pat suggested going back to the golf course and asking for a telephone number there as the farm house owners had previously owned the golf course too... 

And so that's where we headed next...

14 comments:

  1. When my son was last in town, we went to the house where he had grown up and just knocked on the door. The present tennant was there and greeted the whole assembled clan. I don't think I might have been brave enough at the time but am getting bolder as age creeps in. The setting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so pleased for you and your family! Also, I have really enjoyed seeing the beautiful wedding pictures.

    Naomi in OKC

    ReplyDelete
  3. INCREDIBLE JOURNEY! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    I recently found both my grandmother's and grandfather's graves, in a city hundreds of miles from where I grew up. I had never been to the graves. Grandma died when I was 8 and Grandpa died long before I was ever born (my father was 12). The graves were in two different cemeteries...my grandparents died 30 years apart...she had remarried, so different graves. I ended up learning at the cemetery that I had all sorts of relatives on my granfather's side that I didn't know I had. Some of them had died (young) in quick succession, back before good health care and antibiotics. I can't imagine the grief of losing family members & children in a short time like that. But it was an experience similar to yours, where you've never seen a grave before, then you find it and...all sorts of emotions.

    I've driven past my childhood home a few times, when in that town. One time the inside door was open and the light was on. I was tempted to ring the doorbell, but I just drove by slowly and gawked. Someday, I should send copies of the old black & white photos I have of the house to whoever lives there now. I've seen other houses in that neighborhood come up for sale on Realtor.com, so I've been able to show my son what the inside of a house similar to my childhood house looked like. Funny how you never seem to take pictures of the inside of your house; you just see whatever part is in the background of other pictures. I wish now that I had pictures of the house, the yard, the street, the neighborhood, etc. But even after 60+ years, my dreams still use that house as their setting! Funny how that happens.

    Anyway, I'm eager to read the next chapter of your adventure! Thanks so much for sharing. Glad it was such a good trip for everyone. Those pictures of your relatives are amazing, and that soy sauce! What an heirloom for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You received some wonderful treasures from Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya .. you look so like your mother <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating trip. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adventure. Wish I had known, I would have driven up for a meal. My father once went looking for an old family home. He found it, knocked on the door and they gave him a tour. Ana Indiana USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any chance you got a rubbing of the flower engraving? It would be a great applique project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmygoodness!!! Finding your roots from so long ago. What a wonderful thing to do and how close you must feel to your grandparents! I am interested in finding out about my father-in-law's Navy service, so I need to do some digging, too. Much love to you and your family, Tanya.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful journey! I am glad you are taking the time to visit the old family home and gravestones. That is a beautiful lake! Hope the weather warmed up for you so you could enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a fun side trip. So nice that you are doing this with your brother, too. I wish you had been brave enough to knock on the door, "we've come all the way from Japan...", but I understand. I probably would have chickened out too. Something tells me your next post will reveal that you did make contact with the current owners. I love the pictures of your mom and grandparents and the soy sauce bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool!!!! What a wonderful visit and keepsakes. Look forward to more posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome adventure!!! It is just remarkable that you found your grandparents' summer home on your first outing - and not even looking for it at that time. Such a special time with your family. Looking forward to the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Great photos and great memories! Big Congrats on your daughter's wedding.

    ttfn :) Yuki

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.