Cats? Dogs? I like birds too... I like practically any animal that one can think of so I feel like I'm playing favorites if I choose just one. With my cat population it seemed pretty obvious that a cat had to get into this block, but that left my dog friends out... So I chose to represent both (sorry birds and others in the animal kingdom).
My sketch of last week was NOT original. Many, MANY years ago I had bought my mother a small pin as she was also an animal lover and a few summers ago I brought it to Japan with me as she no longer used it. Unfortunately it is extremely tarnished and doesn't seem to be able to be polished up. It was a cheap piece of costume jewelry to begin with but I haven't been able to toss the piece as I like the idea of dogs and cats living side by side.
I made up a sketch and then transferred it to fabric (forgetting that things reverse in the process... Oh well.) I had visions of doing Mola on this and what actually happened was a sort of reverse applique... The cat seemed to get more attention paid to it than the dog did so I added a butterfly friend to the dog. And his nose seemed to get longer as I sewed (subconsciously I must be thinking of John.)
I will try to get this in the mail next week along with a self-addressed postcard so that the Partnership committee can let me know if and where they use my block.
GREAT!I love the Mola whiskers of the cat, the batik is just perfect.
ReplyDeleteI thought that was John , but not sure which cat? Love it.
ReplyDeleteI love your quilt block and the pin as well! I don't have much experience with craft paints but it seems like maybe you could give the pin a refresher with some sort of paint. There are so many techniques available today. I have used stamp pad inks to give a glazed look to a couple of items.
ReplyDeleteNaomi in OKC
Your block is absolutely adorable! I like the addition of the butterfly on the dog's nose. You inspire.
ReplyDeleteKaren from New Jersey
Congratulations in finishing so early. I will probably be down to the end of the wire with my crazy schedule, though I think I have a plan. I rather like the mola/reverse applique idea and may find that as a good solution as to what i have in mind.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute. It does look like John.
ReplyDeleteHow cute! This is perfect. My block will soon be ready to mail, too.
ReplyDelete