My purpose for this quilt was to just use up the 2 1/2 inch squares in my scrap bin and I think I can say that that was successful. Of course the more I sew the more squares I cut from left over fabric and there are still quite a few "medium" color squares in the bin but at least the bin will hold more scraps again
This pattern I think was called Film at Five... and I found the free tutorial on the Internet at Wedding Dress Blue.
The quilt turned out much larger than I had expected and it fits (barely) over our two twin beds. It could be a row wider for full coverage but that would mean more 2 1/2 inch square cutting and of course sewing and then I'd probably have to take out a center seam to make it into TWO quilts for quilting convenience and then resew the center seam etc. It seems like a lot of work and the size it is at now is acceptable. At any rate, I'm probably not going to get around to basting and quilting this for awhile so in the meantime I'll see if I change my mind about not enlarging this...I always get to this point and think,
"Why did I make this big quilt?! What on earth am I going to do about a quilting pattern and how am I going to get this quilted on my little sewing machine?"
I think maybe it is time to start thinking about the nice SMALL block I need to make for the Tokyo Quilt Festival's Partnership Quilts. 15 centimeters by 15 centimeters!
Nice pattern for using up squares. Thanks for the link. I love how yours turned out.
ReplyDeleteyour quilt looks great - a very good quilt for scraps!
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely fresh looking quilt. your eyes will so enjoy looking here and there at it and trying to remember where all the scraps came from
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteKaren in
New Jersey
I really like this quilt. Since I am over-run with 2 1/2" squares I might have to makes this too.
ReplyDeleteI have a tin of 2 1/2" squares that is getting a bit tight. I do like your solution. I don't see how something that large could be quilted by a machine. If you want it bigger, you might just add a border after it is quilted by the quilt-as-you-go method.
ReplyDeleteThis quilt proves that beautiful quilts can be made from scraps and left-overs! It goes nicely with the beautiful quilt on the wall, too.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Julie, quilt it the size it is now and if you need, add a border at the end. Quilting the edge of a large quilt won't be THAT hard, even by machine, will it?
Love your sketch for the Partnership quilt.
Queenie