Saturday, June 8, 2019

A lot of driving

After our wonderful two day stay in Indiana, it was time again to hit the road and head back to Michigan.  My brother's family was still in one car and Tetsu and I were in another.  We made a couple of pit stops at Subway and and Starbucks.
Not to complain, but it was somewhat of a challenge to caravan through the Midwest with another car.  We actually got separated a couple of times but always managed to find each other in the end.  Once when we were on the highway there was a horrendous downpour and I lost sight of my brother's rent-a-car and actually had to pull over to the side of the road to wait out the sheets of rain coming down!!!  It was so scary!!!  I couldn't see in front of me, I couldn't see in back of me, there were cars flashing their lights and stopping.  I pulled over practically barrelling into a car that had already pulled over!  Tetsu was freaking out!  I was freaking out!  I was ready to relinquish the driver seat to someone else but there was no one to give it to and I couldn't even get out of the car to do so!

We made it through that crisis but back in Detroit my brother's car decided they wanted to check out downtown Detroit and they started driving down the streets aimlessly.

"Give me some warning please!  I can't go sightseeing. I'm spending too much time trying to keep the rent-a-car in my sight!"
This is what Tetsu took on his iPhone.
Rent-a-car still in sight.

Finally my brother's rent-a-car pulled into the Henry Ford Museum parking lot.
The trip to the museum was the stop Justin most wanted to make as he is a Ford truck owner.
Justin was our major driver throughout this trip.  He and Kiana have been dating for two or three years now and I have met him the past couple summers.  He ended up doing ALL the rent-a-car driving and Tetsu and I left my car whenever possible and piled into the rent-a-car letting Justin drive.  If he wants to see the Henry Ford Museum then WE want to see the Henry Ford Museum.
It was very interesting and we all (especially Tetsu) got an American history lesson in much more than just the automotive industry.
Presidential cars including the ones that President Kennedy was riding when he was assassinated and the one President Reagan was leaving when there was the assassination attempt.
"Look!  Up in the air!  Is it a bird?  Is it a plane? ... 
Yes!  It IS a plane!" 
We left Detroit at the end of the day and went across the river into Canada!  And stayed at a rather strange hippy-like Airbnb...  All part of the adventure.  One more day of the family being together...  What shall we do tomorrow?

7 comments:

  1. Over to Canada, and all else you have crammed into every day.Those building, I would get dizzy just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would ever be brave enough to go to the states and drive on the wrong side of the road, even if it is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you took this trip as an adventure..... as I am enjoying the adventure as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You came to the states to attend your daughter's wedding, but you are having a truly wonderful adventure. Thanks for including your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful family memories you will have of this trip. It's so wonderful to follow you on this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Kennedy limo gave me chills to see. I remember that day so vividly! I was in school but they made the announcement and sent us home early. The teachers were all crying. Walter Cronkite was on TV when I got home. I didn't realize they had remodeled the car and that it was now in the Ford museum. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to the Ford museum but we couldn't take it all in, we ran out of time; we did a Rouge factory tour there too. That type of "keep up" driving would drive me insane, particularly in bad weather! Glad that you're all together and having fun; these are memories to last a lifetime. Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.