Tuesday, April 3, 2018

More cherry blossoms

Someone asked if we get fruit from cherry blossom trees.  Nope!  Cherry blossoms are strictly for beautifying Japan (and wherever else the flowers may be.)  Cherry blossoms are the national flower and they are practically WORSHIPPED in Japan. 
Even the Japanese 1000 yen bill honors the cherry blossoms.

The whole country is going crazy for cherry blossoms right now with festivals and events being held in all the towns as the cherry blossom front moves north. 

After church on Sunday Tetsu and I went hunting again for cherry blossom sites.  I'm not going to get excited about the cherry blossom festivals where companies and offices go stake out the best places under cherry blossom trees and put one of their underlings to sit under the tree all day until the rest of the office party gets there with their cases of beer.  I don't much like all the booths and traveling eateries that set up under the trees too so that there are aromas of roasting squid, french fries and sweet and salty rice dumplings.  WAY too much hub-bub for me and the crowds, the garbage and the ignoring of the flowers irk me to no end.

Let's find a QUIET place with not many people... preferably beside a river... 
Ah!  Found the river!
This was an off the beaten track children's park in the countryside of Tochigi and we could spot the fluff of white trees from quite a distance.
The small foot bridge going across the river was dedicated to cherry blossoms!  We're in the right place!
There was a family enjoying a picnic in the park and a few parents with children playing but basically we had the cherry blossoms to ourselves.
Quiet.
Peaceful.
Rape seed blossoms bloom at the same time as cherry blossoms and the countryside is slowly becoming colorful.
Nothing like playing "let's take each other's picture."
I see you too.
A much better way to spend the day than with the crowds!
 

6 comments:

  1. The close up photo of the blossoms were stunning. I used to have a cherry tree right outside where I lived and it was usually in full bloom on my birthday. I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for sharing your outing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Reminds me of Washington DC in the spring. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The river photo is marvelous. So happy that you both like to take photos - fun times without the crowds....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never forget my first cherry blossom viewing. Our family set out for a picnic breakfast one Sunday to Ueno park ... lots of cherry trees were there BUT ... there were mountains of garbage, crows and homeless picking them over and bulldozers making more mountains in the distance. I could not believe that people, who go out to enjoy such beauty, could leave a place so covered in trash. I recall my father commenting as we hiked through the woods, picking up trash along the trail, "Homo sapiens, the only animal that soils his own nest!" I was glad he was not part of our party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You picked the perfect spot - love that bridge! The close-ups are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, peaceful photos - Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.