Wednesday, April 4, 2018

The front door

This morning I have been cleaning my front porch. 
We went out and bought flowers on Sunday and I suppose things are looking colorful though with my lack of green thumb I don't know how long the area near the front door will look that way.  We have such a tiny yard... until I start planting flowers and then there are so many places that need color!  If I were better at keeping plants alive then maybe I wouldn't feel like I'm throwing my money away when I plant things....
While I was in the garden shop, I noticed a display of entryway name plates and though I have seen them for 40 years it made me stop and think that name plates are not really a custom in the States... or maybe at least not in California.  American homes may have number plates on their front porch and if there is a curb on the street there may be stenciled house numbers, but I don't think I've ever seen family name plates announcing to the world who lives in the house...

In Japan we don't always have house numbers posted (though they are becoming more common in tract neighborhoods.)  Someone once explained to me that houses are usually built one by one with other houses squeezed in between the older houses or a entryway walk to a group of houses squeezed in between carports.  It is extremely difficult to find houses in Japan by just looking at a map because the numbers jump around from one street to another.  And by the way, there are no street names either!  The neighborhood is called the such and such neighborhood and all the houses will have nearly the same address...

Thanks to GPS and probably to the better GPS systems, it is somewhat easier to find an address though actually I don't know because our car GPS takes us only to the neighborhood and then says, "You are now in the vicinity" and then goes into silent mode.  At least it could say "good luck".

But!  Not all is lost!  Most houses have name plates near the front door or on the outer wall of the house's yard.  Just a couple of weeks ago Tetsu and I went looking for a house of Tetsu's old friend in Morioka.  Neither of us remembered the exact house.

"Old...  Two storied...  a couple of houses down from the corner..."

Tetsu finally got out of the car and walked up and down the hill and back streets looking at all the houses' name plates.  (He never found his friend's house... It turns out we were in the wrong neighborhood.  So much for our memories.)

Anyway... back to the nameplates.

Nameplates are very convenient when looking for a house and nowadays there are such a variety of them with western writing as well as Japanese characters.  I guess privacy is not an issue and I have even seen a map of a whole neighborhood posted near a community center telling the world the names of the families and the exact house they live in!
We have our own nameplate up on the front of the house and though it may not be as elegant as some of the custom-made garden shop ones, it is very pleasant and serves the purpose.  Years ago when my kids were still in elementary school, Marcy decided to have a nameplate made for us at Knott's Berry Farm and she wanted it to be a surprise.  She enlisted Takumi to write our family name in Japanese characters for her and somehow got the engraver to laser carve the characters into the wooden plaque.  It is an excellent representation of Takumi's handwriting at the time...  which, by the way, wasn't very neat back in 5th grade... and now for posterity we have our name, rather childishly written, near our front door.
I love it!
 Dare I go out and buy more flowers?

11 comments:

  1. The trick with flowers is to buy those that thrive on neglect. Yesterday, as I was walking down the street, a neighbor stopped me to compliment me on my garden. Huh? I haven't done anything yet this year other than pull a few weeds. Whatever is there comes up by itself. And as to name plates, there are about five houses and two apartments on my block with the same address. If a letter is written in English, it comes to my box and I find the place it was intended to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would take someone hours to walk through the large neighborhood tracts here! The builder for our house had 8-9 phases of 20-30 house, that have 4 different home sizes with three different finishes for each size (brick, wood trim, windows, etc). Numbers are the only way to go :)
    I’m not a green thumb either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you ask Julie for advice? She knows a lot about plants and which will thrive without daily TLC.
    The approach to your house looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely row of plants in pots, and the bright yellow pot, just right with its flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how does the fire department find a house if someone has a fire - or if there is need for an ambulance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting about streets and houses!! I love your name plate and the background on how it came to be. Always love coming to your blog and learning about you, your family and your customs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful name plate! Love the flowers, very colorful.

    Karen in South Jersey USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks Lovely! I remember being a bit "shocked" just the other day while walking in a nearby neighborhood to see someones name plate on their gate! Last name only, but still. It's probably good Japan has some way to identify who live where!` Thanks for sharing this bet of Japanese culture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful welcoming entrance to your home. I love pots of flowers, they make a day so much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can never have too many flowers! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.